Scag Tiger Cub 23hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by La_Cutter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. La_Cutter

La_Cutter LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a Scag Tiger Cub with the 23hp Vanguard engine and 61" deck for mowing a 2 acre lot with Saint Augustine. The dealer has a very good price, but I'm concerned that it is underpowered and that Scag has dropped this engine on the Tiger Cub.

Input from anyone using this unit, especially in regards to horsepower issue, is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

For a 61" that seems a little underpowered. You might be able to get away with it with no problems if you are mowing flat ground, not running a collection system off the deck, or not cutting overgrown grass. I've got a 22hp on a 52" deck and at times it seems underpowered.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

move up to a Wildcat and get the 26 kaw--problem solved!!

4. La_Cutter

La_Cutter LawnSite Member

I agree, but I can get the this Tiger Cub for $2500 less than the Wildcat.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Is it brand new? If so, just order the mower you want and don't settle for what they have left.

6. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

That's the same setup I demo'd last year. I was surprised with the power of it. I mowed wet tall fescue and even an orchard with 2' grass and weeds. I had to go slow in that tall stuff but overall it did a great job. It really spreads the clippings evenly.
    I passed on it because it scalped a few rolling areas (all mid mounts did the same) and ended up with a front mount. Otherwise I would have bought a Scag.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a tiger cub with the 61 and the 25 kawi, and in spring time fescue growth its does bog down some times. but St Augustine, IMO, is much easier to cut and dispersed better than fescue, The deck doesn't load up as bad so you might be OK. See if you can Demo the unit on a near by lot...

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The 23hp is plenty for a 61" deck if you're discharging, but if you want to mow full speed through overgrown conditions, you can expect to bog. Also if you run the Hurricane mulch kit, you may run into some instances where you wished you had more power (again if it's overgrown).

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have plans for mulching at all or putting a bagger on it? If yes, I'd stay away. Not to many years ago, 23 hp was a common offering on the 60" decks. I have a 16hp Vanguard v-twin on a hydro wb. Over 3200 hours on it and it runs darn good!