1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag TIger Cub 24HP Honda

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by imowumowweallmow, Nov 10, 2006.

1. imowumowweallmow

imowumowweallmow LawnSite Member

I have a STC 24HP Honda GXV670 engine with an electrical problem! The plug coming from the rectifier was melted. The battery had overcharged and was shot, I replaced the battery and repaired the wires. I thought battery had shorted and caused the problem. I noticed two weeks later that the plugs had melted again. The ones with burn marks are the two gray wires from the stator and the yellow wire from the rectifier. What are the test procedures for the Honda engine?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

have you changed out the regulator/rectifier? on a fully charged battery and the engine at full throttle - what is the voltage reading at the battery and /or the center wire in the regulator?

3. imowumowweallmow

It looks like about 19.23 Vdc on the middle wire from the rectifier. I would assume that is to much voltage.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you would be right. change the regulator out. It's running full tilt.

5. imowumowweallmow

Thanks! I will give it a try! I thought that might be the problem but i wanted to be sure. I am having a hard time getting any answers from the local Scag dealers. They will not work on or troubleshoot any of the Honda engines.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If they can't use a basic test procedure as on all small engines they shouldn't be in business. :nono:

I would suggest finding someone that knows what their doing to work on your unit. ;)