1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tiger Cub 48"

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Funky, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Funky

Funky LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Looking to move up from my 48" W/B to a 48" ZTR. I only have about 1.5 acres, but am interested in doing whatever I can to streamline maintenance. Going with a ZTR will not only be faster (I can only walk so fast behind the W/B), but will allow me to attach things like tow-behind baggers/leaf collectors and fertilizer spreaders.

My yard is fairly level (except for the roadside culvert) and fairly wooded, so maneuverability and easy of trimming along beds and tree rings is a big plus for me. The grass is a mostly rye with some KBG mixed in.

The closest dealer to be sells Walkers and Scags. They're a decent dealer and I wouldn't mind giving them more business. They have a 48" Scag Tiger Cub for sale right now (2006 model) with the 24 hp Briggs engine. Asking $6,000 for it.

Though I'd like a super comfortable ride (like a Ferris), I do also want a good quality cut (heard the Ferris cuts are not great). I'd be willing to sacrifice some comfort for cost since I'd be on the machine only an hour or so a week.

What are your thoughts on the Tiger Cub? How much do you think the dealer would knock off if I buy before year end?

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Do not know about discounts, but that price seems about right. My neighbor bought one last spring, an 05 model and paid that with a 19hp Kawasaki. He and his son have been mowing their yard, his fathers, both about 1 1/2 acres ea, and around his plant farm( greenhouse operation)
    and liked and recommended it so well that I bought the next model up, a Wildcat and mus say that it is a fantastic machine.
  3. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

dealer might knock off more if you wait till the snow flies......
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure how much if any discount you will get. But it is a really nice mower,I have the same mower with a different engine. It is a real nice machine

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

scag will last you a long time!!Built tough and fairly easy to work on
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1.3 acres that I mow with my 48" Tiger Cub. I have a Scag grass catcher. I don't understand why you would want a tow-behind bagger. I would think that it would be hard to use with a ZTR.

I have no idea about discounts. When I was shopping, nobody was discounting. I got the impression that Scag wouldn't allow discounts. I bought a used machine.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scags a top mower don't know much on the new briggs they do have a two year warranty.
  8. Funky

Funky LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My thinking on the tow-behind is purely a function of time ... I have a ton a leaves in the fall and if I'm going to spring for a bagger of some sort, I'd rather go bigger than smaller ... this was, less stopping when the leaves are down. Also less stopping when the grass is tall. My usual mows are from 90 minutes to two hours, depending. With catching the grass in my Rack 'Em catcher, it has gone to over four hours .... I'd rather spend that time playing with my kids or wife, depending on my mood!
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I pull this with my scag tiger cub........the only way to go for leaves

112106 1.jpg

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool,looks like you have it under control.