SCAG tiger cub 52"/24hp Honda OR Turf Tiger 52"/25hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTservices, Jul 27, 2003.

1. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

I'm open to the pros and cons of these two machines. I realize the Turf Tigers extra features, Just looking for your opinions that actually own these Z's.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Don't own those paritcular machines.

Do prefer the Kohler
  3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 61" turf tiger,if I was wanting a 52" with an air cooled engine,I would buy the smaller machine.The turf tiger is BIG and heavy,I'm not sure it would have ANY advantage over smaller machine,it would hold hills better, but I doubt the the extra size and weight is worth it.--I do prefer a kaw over a hon,a 23kaw makes more torque than a 24hon.--Don't just limit yourself to scag,look at lazerz & lazerZhp,and super Z and mini Z.Pick out the best mower for YOU! :) :)
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You can buy a lazer cheaper than a turf tiger.Personally I'd go with the lazer but scags are good machines as well.Wouldn't buy a honda engine either.
  5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Whats wrong with Honda Engines? Where I live all the hire places use Honda engines in their machines. These get some serious hours on them and some real morons using them. So this obviously says something. As far as choice of machine goes I have been looking for a new Z my self lately and was looking at a Turf Tiger and the dealer told me he would't touch em with a barge poll!! This is coming from a dealer thats sold Scag for 10 years. He told me to go with the tiger cub as they have had little or no problems with them. He also told me after 10 years of dealing Scag he is thinking of dropping them and dealing EX Mark. I would ask your dealer for a list of Lco's that own these machines and ring them and ask them what sort of down time they have had with them.
  6. CTservices

Thanks for the input. Why would you guys not recommend honda's? I have experience first hand of the declining quality at Kawasaki. Never had ANY trouble out of Honda or B&S engines in my years. IF the honda is so bad, any one got any pricing in your area on a turf tiger 52"/25 kohler?

7. Wasuellc

Wasuellc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a Cub with the Honda engine and 52" deck. It is a great machine. Nice cut, never a problem. And the mulch kit works great.
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag 52" 23HP Cub here. Nothing but rave reviews.

This thing has taken some serious abuse and keeps on going. Great size and powered machine for a first (or perhaps last) ZTR.

There are alot of machines out there so try them all. If you lean toward the Scag I can answer many of the questions you may have.
    The Kawi engines are proven performers. I would stay away from the larger Honda engines (IMO).
  9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We've got the 48" Tiger Cub. Great machine, less money than the Exmark. When we looked at Exmarks in our area, the Exmark dealer was raving about Kohler engines. Everyone else we talked to said go with Kaw.

We have the Kaw, never had a problem.

Test all machines and make your decision.
  10. CTservices

For local GOOD service I have either JD or SCAG. I am trading in a JD GT235 tractor on this Z. The JD z's are over priced, and under built. I have a SCAG 36" Belt WB, currently replacing the Kaw 13 hp on it for a Kohler 18hp. The kaw valve seat rode out of the block, hence the replacement. No problem with SCAGs at all, Just don't care for the Kaw Engine. I have heard that there have been some problems with the new line Kaw engines they are sitting on the Tiger Cubs. Seems Kaw let some go real cheap and didn't pass QC as well? Might have something to do with the $5999 special? I have heard not just on this board, but at several dealers locally. Seeing as I have a 36" SCAG, and don't really need anything larger than a 52", Would that be the way to go for blade compatibility? Is it the same blade on the 36" as the 52"? I know the measurements don't quite add up, but thought there might be some small difference in overlap with the new advantage decks.

Care to state why you would stay away from the Larger Hondas?