1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tiger Cub catches FIRE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Silverback, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Silverback

Silverback LawnSite Member

This past Friday our Tiger Cat ('09 - STC52V25C) ignited on the right side of engine. My worker heard an explosion and jumped off the mower. Another worker put the fire out using a jug of water. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I read another thread about a Tiger Cat igniting into flames. I'll contact Scag and the dealer on Monday. But can anybody give me any idea what to expect?

My pics are below:

2. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

whoa...never seen that happen before :O
  3. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

subscribed to see the reason!

Fuel Related? Explosion......is there any damage to the block?
  4. Silverback

Silverback LawnSite Member

I'll see the mower in person tomorrow at the shop. From what my guy tells me he believes it'll still start. So not sure if engine block is damaged or not.
  5. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

wow that sucks, thank God nobody was hurt
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the fuel line came off the carb, similar to what happened on my Dixie Chopper last year.
  7. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

Looks like it fuel line came off at the fuel pump by the location of the burned parts. And no it would not have started no fuel will get to the engine, and the ignition coil is fried. As for what to expect I would expect scag to send a factory rep to see the fire. Good luck, from the picture I am not sure this would be covered under warranty. Is it still under warranty just in case?

On another note it looks like your air filter housing was on wrong, you might want to teach your guys to put them on right so you do not have dirt leak past from a loose air filter.
  8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Is there a recall?? This is like the 4th tiger cub that caught on fire that I read online!
  9. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the side the fuel line is routed. Ill be checking mine in a few minutes!!!!
  10. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I do not know of any recall with fuel lines or the fuel pump for a scag. As for the true cause I doubt you will figure it out with what is left of that mower. I have a feeling that since it could be put out with little problem it was before the fuel pump, so maybe the fuel line came off at the inlet of the pump... or maybe even just a nick in the line.

regardless it will be hard to prove a warranty. I have only seen one mower catch fire like this, it was in Washington Indiana, and it was also a scag but since I am not the scag dealer I did not have to deal with it. From what I understand from the customer it did not go well for him though.