Scag tiger cub deck settings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Jul 3, 2008.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if the deck on the cub should be lower in the front than the back (speaking of the chain settings, not the incremental adjustments)? I am once again having a terrible time with blowout since the Florida floritam started growing like crazy. I was told by a mechanic (works on Hustlers and Toros) that the deck should be lower in the front than the back, and this is not the case with my mower. The front is 1/2 inch higher than the back. Thanks for any input in advance.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't think that will make any difference. Slowing the rpm down about 20% helps a little. We went back to our 48" Scag Cub and our Scag Cougar this week because the dust is just not tolerable. I dropped the skirt down and that made no difference.

3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag sent me a set of sand blades (no lift) which worked well until the grass started really growing. Since the grass started growing I end up having to rake my yards because they dont mulch at all without the lift. Not sure what to do because I can't deal with the blowout with mulching blades, and can't deal with the mess the sand blades leave behind. HELP! I have a 3 month old mower sitting in my warehouse while I use old Turf Tigers with the Advantage decks.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

My understanding is the deck should be pitched forward between 1/8" and 1/4". Pitch it forward 1/8" and see what that does. If you still have some blowout, try pitching it 1/4" forward.

(if that wasn't very clear, pitch it to where the front is lower, not higher than the back).

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I tend to wear a dust mask when it gets dry. It's a double edge sword.
    Is the cut good in normal grass? I have my 61" deck pitched or lower in the front by a 1/4"
    What size deck do you have? The size will dictate the pitch. If you have a 48" deck, I wouldn't go more then a 1/8" pitch.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I tend to wear a dust mask when it gets dry. It's a double edge sword.
    Is the cut good in normal grass? I have my 61" deck pitched or lower in the front by a 1/4"
    What size deck do you have? The size will dictate the pitch. If you have a 48" deck, I wouldn't go more then a 1/8" pitch.

Pitch is measured by parking the mower on a smooth flat surface then measure the blade from the ground to the bottom of each tip. It's best to check the cut height by setting the height at 3" then measure each blade tip with the blade pointing front to back on the deck. Having the blade pitched will also stop drag from the trailing blade. You always want the leading blade doing the cutting.

My actual cut height is off by a 1/8" but it doesn't bother me, the pitch is good and the deck is flat side to side.
    It cuts real good at 1/4" pitch.