1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag tiger cub mulch kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnjockey56, Nov 10, 2006.

1. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

hey guys-anyone used the hurricane mulch kit on their scag tiger cub? feed back would be appreciated. i have a 48 inch with just the discharge plate and have used a variety of blades-but i either leave a fine line of grass with high lift blades or the dust and dirt is too much to handle with gator blades-keep in mind im in central florida and these yards are extremely wet in summer-i love the power and performance of the mower-its just not as good a finish cut as i get on my old gravely and im hoping this is an easy fix with the couple hundred id spend just to install the mulch kit. anyone been in this same situation?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine using high lift blades with mulch plate on in damp situations.....I put them on for one lawn and they took way too much power. I have mulched with ordinary blades for years and have used the wavy blades and both do good on Cub. But when I get in tall and damp stuff the going is tough but the straight blades do fine for our grasses.
  3. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

I posted a couple of months ago about being the first guy that my dealer (12 years selling Scag) had installed the full mulch kit (hurricane) on the 48". Which I found amazing { he says everyone else just uses mulch blades with the plate on so it is easier to switch to discharge} because I thought the "finish" was awful with just the plate and the blades. If you are going to mulch (I do not discharge down here- no real reason to), there is no comparison in quality of cut. I can go through a leaf covered lawn (although it is light down here) one time and it looks like a pool table felt. Awesome. :dancing:
  4. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback-im gonna do the same and order the kit