Scag Tiger Cub or Exmark HP 48"???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Feb 18, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm debating between the Exmark Lazer ZHP 48" 21HP Kawasaki and the Scag Tiger Cub, 48" 19HP Kawasaki. I can get both for the exact same price. Both of these are probably overkill for what I need (residential use only), but I don't want to buy another mower again. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on which to buy since the price is the same. I want the best cutting machine that is also the most durable and will hold it's value (in case I ever need to sell). Any input is appreciated. Also, I can get the Husqvarna ZTH 42" 18HP Kawasaki for $1,000 cheaper. Any recommendations?

2. lawnscaperman

lawnscaperman LawnSite Member

No doubt, buy the Exmark. Hands down, the Exmark is a better mower. Don't even consider the Husqvarna!!!

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark,exmark,exmark. And, you are also getting 3hp more.

4. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My neighbor has the Husqvarna (for 3 years now) and it takes a beating by her boys (who also cut other neighbor's yards) and she has never had a problem. It has a Kawasaki engine, 175lb clutch, heavy duty spindles and casters, 10/7 Gauge welded deck, etc...

Are you telling me not to consider Husqvara due to some bad experience or reliablilty problems?

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I own Exmark and would highly suggest going with the Exmark. But I do see a lot of Scag products when out on my routes so they cannot be all that bad. I have no experience with Scag though.

I think you need to get 1 of each on your property to demo if possible. Then you will see which you like best and which performs the best for your liking.

6. AlpineLandscpMaint

AlpineLandscpMaint LawnSite Member

So this mower is just for your personal use? or did you mean residential lawn accounts?

7. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yes, this mower will be for my own lawn - not for use commercially. I want to be able to use it to haul a dump cart for mulching, pulling the kids around the yard, etc...

I like the fact that the Scag has a ground speed of 10mph vs. Exmark only 8.1mph (is that correct? That is what the documentation states)

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

The Exmark HP actually get up to 9.5 mph.

But dont get all worked up about the speed. Seems like lately that is a hot topic from everyone.

You will only be able to mow so fast. Ground speed for transporting will be no issue for you due to using only at your home.

Get the one you are most comfortable with, plus the one that works on your property best!

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Gator he is talking about the 48" HP, its mph is 8.1.

For your own lawn you can't really go wrong with any of them. They are comm'l models that will go many hours.

If you plan to run a mulch kit then exmark hands down. If side discharge then demo them all and see what you like.

10. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

48" ground speed is 8.1 - need to go to the 52" to get 9.5mph ground speed. Scag is 10mph. If the Scag and Exmark are equal in cut quality, reliability, etc... I'll take the extra speed for pure amusement purposes...