Scag Tiger Cub or Toro Z400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgooseman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. sgooseman

sgooseman LawnSite Member

I'm considering one of these mowers and would like some feedback on them, pro's/con's to each mower.

The Scag is used. It has a 19hp Kawasaki with 48" Deck. It has 15 hours on it. The owner says that his partner is going back to work at his old job and therefore he don't need it. It was bought last fall....explaining why there are so few hours on it. From the serial # I have found out that is actually a late 2005 machine that sat in a show room until the current owner traded a atv & money to get it. Price on machine $5200. The mower has not be registered for warranty yet and a local dealer told me he would send in the paper work as if it was new and therefore the warranty would just start.

The Toro Z Master Z400 series will be brand new. It will have a 21hp Kawasaki with a 48" Deck. Price around $5400 OTD.

I will be mowing residential yards. Some sloped (not extreme). I primarily mulch mow yards and prefer to stripe mow the yards.

Thanks for the feedback

2. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

I have a real nice tiger cub maintained allways with high quality synthetic lubes and only 225 hrs. Ill cut you a deal a nd save you some $ PM me!

3. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Is the scag an advantage deck or velocity deck. If it is the velocity deck it's a good deal. It's worth $7000-7500 new.

4. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Its the Velocity Deck, and yes it is, i could use the dough.

5. reitennt

reitennt LawnSite Member

If the mower is still available let me know. whats the outside dimensions of the deck? Thanks

6. sgooseman

leaflawnandlimb, if your asking me about the deck type it is the advantage deck.

Seems this thread has gone North instead of South.....where I am.

7. PWN

PWN LawnSite Member

Wow. Priced the same mower last Friday down here in South-East Texas, and they dealer wanted $6100. I passed it up becuase a friend told they are rough riding. Either I am getting ching-a-laid, or you are getting a smoking deal.

8. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Send me a private message if you like. The outside dimensions of the deck are 49'' There is a bumper on the side you can take off and squeeze it through a 48'' gate, then just bang out the job. Just let me know its still here.

9. sgooseman

PWN,

It is last years model I guess. He originally quoted $5300. I told him I was an hour away and then he said $5000. Plus taxes etc.

10. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I swear by my scag 48" 19hp tiger cub and mine has the less desirable advantage deck. IMO the 19 hp is more than enough power so I wouldnt be to concerned that the toro has more. Also I would negotiate with him show him the cash and see if you can get a few hundred knocked off (not that the price isnt already good).