scag tiger cub or wildcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Jun 19, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

i want the 52 deck. What is the real difference between these two machines?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

with out acessing the site and if my memory is correct, the wildcat you can get a larger engine witht he 52'' deck, other than that they are about the same machine. Maybe the tire size is different, but the pumps and hydro motors are the same

3. JonM

JonM LawnSite Member

Clydesdale, I've been looking into selling my current mower and getting a Scag ZTR as well, so I've been doing some research on the same mowers as you. The key differences are... a 52" Wildcat has a 25HP Kawasaki engine, and weighs 1055 pounds. The 52" Tiger Cub comes with either a 23HP Kawasaki or a 24HP Honda engine with a weight of 980. Both mowers have dual pumps and high torque cast iron wheel motors. In addition, the Wildcat and the Tiger Cub have an Ogura GT3.5 clutch with 250ft/lbs of torque. Both mowers have a heavy duty tubular steel frame, and tough spindle assemblies. I hope I have provided you with the information you wanted, it's based on the Scag product catalog and what my dealer has told me. If you have any other questions, I can do my best to help.

- Jon M

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.scag.com/zeroturns.html
    There is the link to the scags mowers, and I forgot the wildcat has a hydro cooler that the tiger cub doesnt. I dont say that Scag makes the best mower, I think they are all good or they wouldnt be in buisness, but I really do like my scag tiger cub

5. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

what is comparable in exmark?

6. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Several key differences is a larger frame, larger out front castor wheels, better seat, hydraulic oil cooler, and one extra horse under the hood. If I were looking to buy, I would pay a little more and get the Wildcat. It is comparable to the Exmark Lazer Z.

7. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

The comparible Exmark is the Lazer HP. The full size Lazer comparison model for Scag is the Turf Tiger. Remember the Wildcat uses a vertical shaft engine on a smaller frame as does the Lazer HP. The full size models use horizontal shaft engines. So in reference the Wildcat is not the comparible model for the fullsize Lazer.

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

In my Option the Wildcat is very comparable to Full size lazer. Other than the motor being vertical, which there is no twisted belt, they are very much the same. Both also use same pumps, but wildcat has oil cooler.

9. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

different frame construction and strength, along with different engine choices.

10. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

Rear wheels on the Wildcat 12" vs 9.5" on the Cub