1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag tiger cub problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by apluslawns, Aug 21, 2006.

1. apluslawns

apluslawns LawnSite Member

i hope i got the right forums i am new to this.

i have a scag tiger cub 48" cut 19 Kawasaki engine the mower has 303 hours on it now. it is 2 years old with an advantage deck. the problem is that it is now on its third deck belt. i have checked the pulleys, idlers tensioner. several times the mower is very well maintained. my local scag dealer has a 3 week back log before they even look at it.

the original belt broke at 248 hours. the replacement belt which was also a scag belt broke at 50 hours now i am on the third belt. the belt cost $ 87.00
    my cost and i installed it.

is anyone else having this problem? if so have you fixed it ? if you have can you give me any pointers on how to correct it. i cant afford to have my mower in the shop for 3 weeks. any ideas or suggestion would be helpful thank you
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the idler pully in very back, the one that is aprox 3-4" tall is more than likely going bad. My dealer had a hard time spotting the prob until he put on the rack and realized there was a little play in the bearing. Give me a call and I will explain in more detail if you need. Chuck 386-479-5880
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar problem.. after the third belt the dealer found the problem. One of the pulleys or idlers was just a little lower then the rest and that threw the belt off enough to make it break a lot sooner than they should. All they did was put a washer under it to level it out and it hasn't been a problem since then.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I guarantee it's the idler pully that runs the belt from 1"-5" It's a hard one to spot trouble. I have over 600 hrs on my z-cat with same set-up and went through 3 belts with in the first 200 hrs and the pully was bad. My z-cat was bought in July of 05. So it's just over a yr old.
  5. lms

lms LawnSite Member

Jt5019 hit it right on the head. One of the idler pulleys is probably lower than it needs to be. A couple washers fix the problem.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Do you guys even read??? It started at 248 hrs. Now its gone through 3 belts. I know this one from experience. If the belt was misaligned he would'nt have gotten to the first 248 hrs. It's as if you have a stick in there just chewing the belt up. The belt would get hot enough and make it expand in one certain area and then seperate. Mine spent relentless time up on the tractor rack before they found the problem. Good Luck!!!! I bet when this happened it felt like the mower was going to fall apart. Serious Vibration.
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I also think there is a update kit out for the 48 deck to convert it to a 2 belt system i saw them at my old dealer the other day
  8. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hey, weird coincidence, but I'm having a belt problem on my Z Cat ('04) too. Just today, when I pull the PTO?. the belt came off twice. I put it back on and was OK, then went to next prop & it came off again.

Any idea if this is related to the problem being discussed, or is it something else? Many thanks

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes there is an update kit...but here are a couple things that apparently increased my belt life.
    1. Engage blades at half throttle
    2. Turn the blades on/off with the deck in locked up position.

My first belt went early just like yours, my second one has gone a lot longer. I am delaying putting the two belt system on until fall. We do all mulching with plate over outlet so the belt gets big time loads.
  10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I have had that happen when I go from like 2.75" to 4" for the next yard and pop the pto at full throttle. Sometimes if you have a stick or something stuck back around the Clutch it will do the same thing. Other than that never have it happen. Another thing you might check is the self-tighting tensioner spring and or pully. The dealer told me to engage the pto in the transport mode before I take the deck down. If you are around the 3" or below and you engage the pto you can watch the deck pop up pretty good. This might be the cause dont know. I personally do not engage the pto in transport mode because, Well it's just one more time to engage. I have tried and can see his point though. The deck doenst pop (jump up an inch or more)