1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SCAG Tiger Cub questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xhoosier, Apr 26, 2004.

1. xhoosier

xhoosier LawnSite Member

I have been told that the tiger cub (18hp kawa, 48'') is heavy and will leave ruts if the ground is even a little soft. Have any of you run into this and is there a solution . Also, I was quoted 5995 on this model but have heard of others getting a better. price. Also, can this model pull a plug aerator. The dealer says it can.

I need to make a decision this week

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 48 cub, it is rather heavy but not as heavy as some other brands.It will leave ruts if the ground is very wet and soft like any ztr.Just dont mow in the same direction everytime . Criss cross every other mowing if possible and you will be fine.Also make sure you have the right tire pressure i believe its 12 psi in the rears.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I mowed some last week right after we received 2.5 inches of rain and it didnt create ruts. In some of the low places it did leave light muddy streaks which any mower would in thoose conditions I think. The mower weighs 975 and Im 275 more my mower weighs about 1250 with me on it
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

oooops I forgot to finish my post, mine sold for $5999 and can pull an attactment with an added hitch
  5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed some soggy ground this past weekend and I did have to be very careful not to cause a rut. On dry ground I've gotten pretty good doing a "Y' type turn around.

I've seen the invoice of a Tiger Cub...$5395, 48" 20hp Kholer or 19hp Kawa. This dealer added 10%, which seems fair.

I'm sure you could pull an areator, you'll need a hitch.
  6. GrssHopper

GrssHopper LawnSite Member
    from CT

I own a 48 Tiger Cub also, and I love it! I think it's one of the most versatile mowers out there, and I have no problems with it leaving ruts.
    It should be standard practice to alternate mowing directions anyway to eliminate turf ruts.
    I also have purchased the hitch for my Cub and use it to move my snowmobile trailer which has a cap and 2 snowmobiles on it.
    I don't think you'll have a problem towing.
    In 2002 (New) I paid $7,000.00 w/bagger system. I have no regrets.