Scag Tiger Cub still will not start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by drpdad, Mar 21, 2008.

1. drpdad

drpdad LawnSite Member

I posted this a while ago and I thought I had the problem narrowed down to the started solenoid but I had the starter rebuilt with a new solenoid & I am having the same problem. Here is what I have done so far.

I have a 2003 tiger cub with the 19 HP Kawasaki that will not start.

When I turn the key to the run position I hear a click but when I turn to start I get nothing.

I replaced the battery & checked all connections.
    I checked the safety switches on the hydro levers & the seat.
    I removed the starter key & cleaned the contacts.

I removed the spade wire from the solenoid & shorted to the solenoid nut & starter engaged.

-When I put a meter on the battery I get 12.55 volts
    -When I remove the spade wire from the solenoid & put a meter on it I get 12.44 volts every time I turn the key.
    -When I connect the spade wire to the solenoid & put a meter on it I get .11 volts when I turn the key

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 97firebird

97firebird LawnSite Member

Im not sure about the Kawis but my kohlers have a relay. Are there any relays? That click could be a relay trying to connect and failing. Just a thought...good luck with this.

3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know much about scags but my exmark has a lever for the parking brake and sometimes that could be loose or not touching the lil button it touches and did you check the safety switches for engaging, that could be it too.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your fuse raise the seat you will see it..............

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

In what way did you check the safety switches ?

Did you remove and clean the harness ground wires (4 black wires in one eyelet connector screwed to frame) ?

The fact that your getting battery voltage to the solenoid wire while disconnected leads back to a ground fault which could be a bad frame ground/safety switch or bad safety switch control module.

Did you check the safety switch within the PTO switch ?

6. drpdad

drpdad LawnSite Member

I checked the saftey switches by testing continuity. They were open with the button out but had continuity across the leads when I pushed the button in.

I checked the seat switch, the parking brake switch, & the hydro lever switches. I did pull the pto while checking voltage at the solenoid & I did not get 12.44 volts until I pushed the pto back in.

I will check the harness ground wires tomorrow.

Where is the saftey switch control module?

Is the starter relay the one under the key panel?

Thanks for all of the replies.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you take a screwdriver and jump 12 volts directly onto the starter to see if the armature will turn? On Kohler you can jump across the terminals on the selonoid. If it starts it tells you a lot....may be relay.

8. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

If you do what Ed said and it cranks, it could possibly be the safety module. All your safety wires go into it. When it senses that everything is ok to start it will switch the ground going to the starter relay and send voltage to the starter. Also if your pto switch is on or bad it wont crank.

J19LM

9. Cheapscapes

Cheapscapes LawnSite Member

i was having the same problem with my tiger cub...drove me nuts..it was either very slow to crank or not at all...seemed the belts were sticking to the pto causing the engine to try and crank the hydro pump and the motor it was too much strain on the starter..after my buddy looked at it he pulled on the belt, the motor turned right over. might be something to look at.worked for me.

10. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How old is the mower? If it has a few yrs on it, check the fuse holder. I've had to replace mine. Also check to make sure that the clutch drive is not the clicking noise. Have someone turn the key on while you are down by the clutch drive , if it is engaging check to PTO switch.
    Hope this helps.

James