Scag Tiger Cub vs Ferris IS1500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duckguy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. duckguy

duckguy LawnSite Member
    from WI

Cub- 48" new Briggs 24 hp promotional model- 7899 with fabric bagger

Ferris 52" Kawasaki 25hp - 8100 with fabric bagger

Seems to me like the engine/ air cleaner is nicer on the ferris, also 1 additional hp. I am mixed on the suspension so i dont know if thats a plus or minus. Otherwise just A 4" deck difference and a bit in price. Scag does have rops but that is not a big deal to me. Which should I go and why?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

ya can't beat the IS...your back will tell you at the end of the day for sure.

3. duckguy

duckguy LawnSite Member
    from WI

does the ferris stripe as nice with no roller like the scag does

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have an IS 3000 that we bought last year and the suspension is great. It really makes a difference in the ride and helps with the cut quality too. With the suspension it is not as likely to scalp. They do stripe nice without a striping kit. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. The only big negative about the Scag is the engine. The Briggs is a residential grade engine and the Kawasaki on the ferris is a commercial engine.

5. thill

thill LawnSite Member

One question for you guys running Ferris.

A couple of years back, a dealer who handled both told us that Ferris had serious parts supply issues . For that reason, I stayed with SCAG (was already very partial to SCAG).

Did Ferris resolve the parts issue?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Run from the ferris as fast as you can we own both brands and the scag beats the ferris hands down!!!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've had 20 or so Ferris machines over the past 13 years. I don't know of the parts availability issue because we rarely have to fix our machines. The times we have, either the dealer has them on hand or had them next day.

As for Scag beating Ferris hands down, the technical term for that is bulls*t. We dumped them years ago btw.

8. DUG

DUG LawnSite Member

I love mine!

safety 002.jpg

9. duckguy

duckguy LawnSite Member
    from WI

anyone have a lawn pic from a ferris?

10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have never owned a Ferris, but I can tell you I have never had any problems with any of the 5 Scag's I've owned. Scag does not make residential equipment, that engine is commercial grade.