Scag Tiger Cub Vs. Hustler Mini Z

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by andygold, Jun 9, 2004.

1. andygold

andygold LawnSite Member

I'm about to purchase my first Z, and have it down to the two listed above. They seem to be 2 very closely matched machines (engines, deck size, overall size, and price). The Tiger Cub is a left over 2003, while the Hustler is a 2004. They both have the same Kaw engine and both have a 52" deck. The machine is for a medium sized (1 acre of totally flat, landscaped) residential property, with the probability it will be used for neighboring lawns too. I know that both are overkill, but I want quality and speed!

I'm hoping to mainly use the machine as a mulcher, with bagging an option come leaf season.

I'm a little leary of the Advantage deck on the Scag having read many complaints about clumping on these boards (I've also read the semi-fix with the Turbo baffles). I'm also a little leary of the brown grass spot problem of the Hustler ( which they seem to be working on). I do like the flip up deck and the optional spring seat of the Hustler. The Scag dealer is 15 miles away, while the Hustler dealer is 70 miles away (15 miles from where my main job is). Both dealers are reputable according to aquaintences.

As you can see, I've attempted to do my homework!! :)

Has anyone owned or operated both machines, and can you compare/contrast them? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Hustler all the way!! I have no real evidence on the scag riding mowers, but my impression is that they are junk. Horizontal mount engine are not the way to go. I also heard of some problems w/ the deck drive shaft. The Hustler has a lifetime warranty on the deck and frame. I would go with the hustler. I am a Dixie Chopper man, but Hustler would be my second choice.

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2003 tiger cub is great.... only problem is it tends to clump easier on wet grass.Strips good even without a striping kit.Customer support is awesome i had scag personally call me to make sure everything was good.

4. postman

postman LawnSite Member

Looked at scag tiger cub today and a hustler dealer sells both the mechanic at the shop went over the cub with me for a 1 hour the biggest problem he said is people don't take care of them i don't think you will go wrong with either one i have looked at several kinds of z mowers i like the tiger cub and the xmark leaning toward the cub because of price and i like the way its made for the money i think the scag is a deal what ever you buy i hope you have good succes with it

postman

5. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Each is going to have its advantages and disadvantages, supporters and critics. I own a full size Hustler Z for my residential lawn. The only complaint I have is that I did not buy it sooner. Man I love this thing - quality all the way. Don't have any experiance with the toger cub so can't offer anything there. You have read the posts so make a decision. Price has to be a factor as well as the mulching kits and bagging kits. The only thing that I can add is whatever you buy get as much horse power as you can, especially if you are bagging.

6. supermini z

supermini z LawnSite Member

I am running the supermini z. It is the mini z but with a standard suspension seat and a 24hp honda engine with a oil cooler that is much better than the kawaski engines. It is a 52" deck and the biggest upgrade ffrom the mini z is it has a 16cc hydro system with a hydro cooler with a cooling fan on top of the raditor. the scag only has the 10cc and the mini z only has the 10cc. As far as consturction hustler has cast iron spindles as so does scag but scag spindles are better with greese fittings hustlers are sealed. The pto's are the same. Scag has a thicker deck as the whole deck is trippled plated as the hustler is trippled plated on top of the spindles and doubled plated on the edge of the deck. My favorite is the 13 m.p.h transport speed of the super mini z and the 10 m.p.h cutting and 7 m.p.h reverse speed. The scag and the hustler are very good machines but if you were going with hustler get the supermini z over the mini z. The price difference is only $400 I paid $7,100 for mine and ran doubles for more air flow to fix that problem. Go try out the supermini z when you get a chance.

7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Scag cubs don't have deck driveshafts. They are belt driven. Just curious , If you don't have experience with Scag, How do you know they are junk? Matt