1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tiger Cub Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by drpdad, Mar 8, 2008.

1. drpdad

drpdad LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 tiger cub with the 19 HP Kawasaki that will not start.

I read some previous posts and have tried the following but I am not sure where to go from here. When I turn the key to the run position I hear a click but when I turn to start I get nothing.

I replaced the battery & checked all connections.
    I checked the safety switches on the hydro levers & the seat.
    I removed the starter key & cleaned the contacts.

I removed the spade wire from the solenoid & shorted to the solenoid nut & starter engaged. At this point tried the key & it worked. I put everything back together & started the tractor with no problem. I ran it for 5 minutes and turned it off. When I turned the key to try to restart nothing happened.

I am not sure what to do next. When I had the control panel open I saw a relay that I am guessing is the starter relay. I do not know if the problem is the solenoid or a relay?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

probably need a new solinoid i had that problem with a quad you could turn it overwith a screwdriver by crossing it over the solind bolts but it wouldnt with the key
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You need to put a test light or multimeter on the spade wire on the solenoid, Then turn the key to the start position a few times. If you get battery voltage to this wire each time the solenoid would be the defective part.

If you get intermittent power (has power every other time etc. while turning the key) this would single out the relay.