Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ratchet, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ratchet

ratchet LawnSite Member

Hello All
    I have found a good deal on a new 2005 Tiger Cub with 48"deck and 21hp Kawasaki engine. Is this a good engine? I noticed that on 2006 models Scag offers 19 and 23hp engines. Is there a problem with the 21hp?

Thanks for your input.

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine has a 21 HP Kawasaki. At my elevation (3000'), 19 isn't enough to cut heavy grass and run a grass catcher.

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I havnt heard of any problems with the 21hp Kawasaki engine. Mine has a 19hp and i dont have any complaints the 21 should be fine.

4. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a Scag Z Cat 42" deck w/ 19Hp Kaw and never find it under powered. The 21Hp is probably even better. You may know the Z Cat is the next model down from the Tiger Cub. I was kinda bummed, as a month or 2 after I got my Z Cat the Tiger Cub was offered cheaper than the Z Cat. I think the Tiger Cub is favored by Scag as a good all around machine. If you have a good deal, and you like it, I would buy it!

Hillndale:headphones:

5. bcmower

bcmower LawnSite Member

if you want to upgrade the horsepower of the 21hp kaw. all you need to do is get the carb. from a 23hp engine. the 19, 21, and 23 the engines are the same except for the carbs