Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blakeg314, Apr 18, 2006.

1. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

hey everyone..
    looking into purchasing a Scag rider soon and wondering which one to go with.. i have limited it down to two of the 5 or 6 that they have. First choice is the Tiger Cub 52" w/ 24hp Honda because I just love HONDA. Second is the Wildcat 52" w/ 25hp Kawi.. anyone own one? any information would help thanks a lot.. oh and if anyone could get prices ive tried everywhere

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If the cost between the two was not bad go with the wildcat with the trans cooler.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only had my Tiger Cub for 6 months or so. I really like it. It's a 48/21. I think which one you choose would depend on how you intend to use it. Commercial? Residential? How much acreage? Hills? Grass Catcher?

I think you'll like both of them.

4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52" cub with the 24hp Honda. Draining the engine oil is a bit if a pain, but other than that its been flawless. I have 340+ hours on it now, with nothing but normal maintenance and some extra blades. Original belts are like new. It has replaced my 48" walker on smaller props. I have the clamshell bagger but its not on right now. I also have the mulch kit but its not on now either. I'm trying to get a ocdc for it. Anyway I really like it, and they are real popular around here. Several LCO's have found a 61" tiger, and a 48 or 52" cub will handle just about anything a solo operator would want to cut. I personally have a 72" Sabre tooth, a 60 " LC Exmark, and the 52" cub on my trailer and they all get used.

5. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

i was thinking abotu this last night.. i already have a 48wb and im picking up a 36" in a few weeks.. i have a few big lawns, would the 52 or 61 be better.. im going to have to measure the gates for the backyards to see if at least the 52" could get in, i no that theres no way for the 61" but that would be more productive on the bigger lawns out in the front but it is modertely wooded

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

i like my scag 52 24 honda but mine has had alot of deck issues ..... bearings in idler pully ( 3 times) pump idler( 2 times) all covered under warrenty but now warrenty is out so we will see how it goes .Deck Belt jumps off once and a great while but i have learned to engage blades at almost full speed . If i had to do it over again i get the turf tiger 61 in 27 horse kawi . this is first scag i have ever had prob with and i have owned 7 now , Maybe i am to hard on it, if you are getting new get the new style deck it look to be much better designed