scag tiger cub ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Sep 13, 2001.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i am looking into getting a ztr for this fall, i get the use of it during the fall cleanups and i get late model discounts. i have looked at exmark and toro and scag which are the only dealers around here and the only ones i would deal with. both are respectable dealers, one is toro/scag he told me he took on scag because of thier spindle driven bagger like the exmark ultrava. he has moved quite a few of the 48-62 scags with the bagger system. he exmark has sold quite a few as well. i was looking at demos of toro but none are useful to me they are too big for my lawns. i have the chance to get a 52 scagwith the 23 kaw engine and the advantage deck with the 10 bushel catcher, it has 40 demo hrs and he wants just over $7000 for it. is this a good price he told it lists for about $8000 and the catcher is $1200 more. i wanted to spend 7000 or less becausei need a truck next year. i havent demoed them yet going to this weekend. ps. no toros in stock and th exmark is $8400 for 52/23 with ultravac. i have heard about hydro pumps goin bad, but many lcos use scag around here and i rarely see any for service any where thats here tho. my dealer said full warranty for the scag and hell give me a machine if i need it because of a breakdown.
    does any one have the scag tiger cub? good overall?
    what about the advantage deck? i wont be cuttin in rain ever really or realy high grass.
    any comments on the machine which you would go with?
    i have been using my 36 and 48 walk behinds i hate the 48 so it is never used and i use the 36 which takes forever and since i am in school and i play sports i dont have all that much time so i said since i am going to be in this for a long time why not go big now at 15
    am i thinking right or ami just a big dreamer?
    any input would be appreciated
  2. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I run Scag Tiger Cub 48" bought it to do cemetary
    and small in town yards .
    Have used it two seasons Broke one Idle spring
    and one belt 380hrs.
    It cuts great advantage deck works best with highlift blades watch the length some after market blades are not what the claim.
    very satisfied have turf tigers also for larger jobs no problems.
    I think you will be happy.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Have looked at both the Lazer hp with the 23 kawi is lower than the tiger cub. Fits under trees easier. Demoed a lazer LC and an
    hp like the hp better. I run a Scag Sthm 60" with a modified deck.
  4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I bought my tiger cub this summer. I highly recommend it. Its got a small footprint for trailering and it runs like a top. I'm not an expert on mowers though, but I have been working on machinery at a large manufacturing plant now for 12 yrs. During this time I think I have become somewhat of an expert on machinery and what works best and perhaps what may last longer. In my humble opinion, I think the tiger cub was built to last. I have been running it now for over a hundred hours and with out even a whimper. I see lots of them is service around here. I go to my dealer alot and rarely see any in for breakdowns. My dealer also promised me a machine if mine breaks down. I too have read all the bad reviews about the wheel motors and such but one of the LCO's around here has a Turf Tiger with over 1200 hrs on it and he said he never even replaced the deck belt yet. (of course his is shaft driven as opposed to my belt driven deck) But any way. This is just my opinion. Sorry for the long post but I really think I've made a wise purchase. I guess we'll see. Good luck and God bless us all.
  5. dlandscaping

from mass

thanks for the replies others its good to see that there are scags out there that dont have problems, it all comes down to how a lco cares for his machine and what oil he uses in it, sure there may be a few lemons but i think half of the problems are somewhat the owners fault i am going to check out that 52scag now and demo it in the parking lot!
  6. dlandscaping

from mass

a few more questions how do your cubs cut, wet dry ??
    striping how does it do? what type bagger do you use? does it work well? how much did you pay for them and have they been well worth it\?

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Have you used a grass catcher much? Most commercial cutters and dealers are discouraging catching the grass any more; most don't even suggest a true mulch but say to simply blow out the clippings but chew them up really good - look at Eric's striping pictures and try to tell me they would look better bagged. I once had a 9 bushel catcher for a Murray 48" and you had to stop extremely often to empty it - sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm just questioning a very expensive option - you could buy the mower now and add the vac system later if you can't ever get satisfaction this way.
  8. dlandscaping

from mass

i know bags fill up quite fast i have 3 bushel bags on my walkbehinds and they fill up alot, but the grass grows fast in the spring and i dont always get to lawns weekly so i need bags in summer i discharge but it covers houses and such so i use mulching in the falll i try to cut weekly sometimes only cuttin leaves so the bag would make it look nice and the bag on the scag is all setup and wont be sold without thanks for the input tho
  9. Daves

Daves LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Exmark LazerHP18-48 is the way to go I own one of each a tigercub and LazerHP by far the LazerHp out handles the Scag and as some else said is lower to the ground so it goes under trees easier and handles inclines much better