Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petepolaris500, Mar 7, 2008.

1. petepolaris500

petepolaris500 LawnSite Member

Would anyone have any input on the Scag Tiger Cub with a 23 hp briggs and a 61" deck.

Thanks

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

At my elevation (2800'), it would be underpowered. I run a 48" / 21 HP Kawi with a grass catcher and wish I had more power.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the 25HP Koher on that unit......passed on the Briggs but Scag claims the 23 Briggs and 25Kohler were almost exactly the same HP in their testing. I don't know what advantage the Briggs would be and the Scag guys didn't know.

4. LawnBasher

LawnBasher LawnSite Member
    from GA

It is my understanding that is a discontinued model after 2007. It's a great machine and usually can be had at a great price....several hundred cheaper than the Kohler. We missed the last one our dealer had and ended up with a Wildcat 26hp LC Kaw....ouch $$$$. If you want it you had better get it before its gone. Excellent Value on a tough mower.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting !!

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnbasher if you got the Cat instead of the cub you will be much happier , i have both the cub and cat and like the cat alot more Just seems to be a more powerful machine

7. LawnBasher

LawnBasher LawnSite Member
    from GA

I hope you are right...I'm impressed so far. It's better than the Snappers and Ghoppers I've used in the past. Just seems so....well built. But then again, it's NEW! Just kinda wonder why the radiator cap rubs the back of the seat when I mow rough stuff....hmmmmm??

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If both unit are 25HP what would make the difference on these two models? Is it the belt drive system on Wildcat compared to Cub?

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

the thing I thought was cool about the Scag lineup was that the Zcat, Cub, and Wildcat were all based on the same chassis, just different front forks, engine options, and seats (and a couple of other minor differences). Shame that the ZCAT was discontinued. The platform these mowers are built on is long proven design and has a very low center of gravity.

Back to your question, the Cub is a great mower but the Wildcat would give you more power and engine options for that 61" deck, and a much nicer seat. It all depends on your budget.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

oh, the 23hp Vanguard is not Briggs designed or built. Its designed by Toyota and Daihatsu and built by Mitsubishi. It is a fantastic engine and puts out as much or more torque than that 25hp Kohler Command. You may just wish you had a little more HP on that size deck.