1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tiger Cub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mjealey, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy a new Tiger Cub. In East Tennessee dealers have quoted me $6499 with the 26 hp briggs, and $6999 for the 19hp Kawi. Haven't began to negotiate yet with them. Are these fair prices to pay or am I getting ripped off?

Is the Kawi that much better than the Briggs? 7 hp difference is quite a bit!
  2. jrainw

jrainw LawnSite Member
    from indiana

The Kawi is more than just an engine upgrade, you get folding ROPS, flat free front tires and no tool adjustable handles. I have a Briggs that has been trouble free for 700 hours but their QC is random. The Kawi uses noticeably less fuel. I have 3 Kawi 48's with about 1500 hours on each and they have been great.
  3. johndeerboy26

johndeerboy26 LawnSite Member

I have a tiger cub with the briggs and when we bought it we didn't relaize it didn't have foldable rops until they had a small tractor thing in kingsport and asked a rep that came in town and he sayed the briggs didn't come with foldable rops but, the engine is no problem what so ever. By the way what dealer did you talk to.
  4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

What he said. It's more than just a difference in price on the engine.
  5. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

I bought the kawasaki it has 37lbs of torque to the briggs 33lbs. I've had better luck with the kawi. in the past. I bought the 48 tigercub with the 19hp kawi for $6,600 and got them to throw in 2 pair of scag blades, both deck belts, can of scag spray paint and the trailer hitch.
  6. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

Those seem to be good prices, I just paid 7300 out the door for a 52" 25 horse kohler and that was almost a thousand less than any of the other dealers around here. You will be very happy with the machine.
  7. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Paid $7,700 for a 52" STC 25 HP Kohler... Had a 26 HP Briggs on a Freedom Z......

Love my new Cub.... the Kohler is a fine engine !!!
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm loving my Cub. :D
  9. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

When I started pricing the Scag Tiger Cub I went to Mayo Garden Center in Knoxville, and they quoted me $6999 out the door. I wasn't real serious and asked if they were willing to deal and they said they were firm on that price. To be honest, they acted like they could care less about me becaude I am not this huge commercial guy with 200 yards.

I also went to Alpha Outdoor Power Equipment in Morristown. Quoted me $7199. Did not try to negotiate because that day I was not arel serious and was just looking. They do have really good service and will go out of their way to please you though.

I am really leaning toward the Snapper s150x. 21 hp Kawi and 48" deck. This Snapper dealer I think wants to work with me though. Any thoughts on the Snapper s150x?
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm. Does anyone on this entire site actually use a snapper ztr??? They look like ferris mowers a little. I actually was thinking scag before I got my lazer z and I was quoted 7000 for the 19 kawasaki tiger cub. I got a lazer z hp 19 kawasaki for 5999 out the door. It has the adjustable handles folding rops and flat free front casters. Do you have an exmark dealer?