Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Goldendog, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Goldendog

Goldendog LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger Cub I bought used last year. It has a mulch kit on it and I bought an Accelarator bagger this winter for it. I'm looking at bidding on a large condo complex that I will be able to mulch. How hard is it to switch back and for from the mulch kit to the bagger. I have the baffle hardware for under the deck for the bagger, does this have to be changed back and forth to go to the mulch kit and the bagger?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You aren't going to like switching back and forth. What you can do is take off all the channels under the deck. Then when you want to bag simply take the blocking plate off that isn't too bad. I understand the need to ever bag period. This unit will make the stuff be gone especially if you double cut which is always faster than bagging.

3. Goldendog

I agree with you on the double cut. Folks up here in Alaska seem to think everything needs to be bagged. It's hard to make them understand that mulching is better for the yard. I was afraid that the baffles for under the deck for bagging and then switching them for mulching was going to be a pain. Thanks for your reply.

4. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

I would leave the baffles off and just use the side plate for mulching. That Is all I use on my mowers for mulching. Still a pain taking the side plate on and off but much easier than all the baffles. Doesn't chop as fine without the baffles but here with warm season grass it didnt seem to matter to much.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I run a mulch kit on my cub and if I was you I would leave the kit on at all times. If you do need to bag then just remove the chute plate and you will only get about a 1/3 of the clippings in the bag and 2/3 mulch to the ground so you wouldn't have to empty all the time.
    If I don't want to mulch I remove the side plate and just let things fly. I have noticed that the clippings coming out the chute are very small and much less than not running the mulch kit.

6. Goldendog

Thanks. Think I will give it a try.