Scag Tiger Muffler problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lubricity, Jun 2, 2008.

1. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Anyone else having problems with these Piece of Crap mufflers breaking internally. Causing engine to slow down due to exhaust blokage. We have had 3 in the last two years. A baffle breaks off inside. For $170 they should hold up better.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

What engine and how is it mounted (vert./horiz.) ?

3. lubricity

27 HP v twin water cooled. Rear mount

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

see many of them and seen many mad as hell lco's it is a problem but i have never heard they are going to do anything about it. the mufflers are not kohler or kaw they are made by nelson i think.

5. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

I can't say that I have had the internal baffle problem you mention, but almsot all of our 27 hp Turf Tigers have multiple welds on the mufflers where the pipes break off of them.

6. lubricity

I would bet that half off the people don't even know what is going on. The motor starts right up. runs like nothing is wrong until you have it on full throttle and the blades on. Then there is a hissing from the carb. Youcan feel the power level drop significantly. But half the workers out there probably will not know or care the machine is running at a fraction of the power.

7. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Is there any other way to tell if the muffler is bad ? Such as: lower exhaust output from tail pipe ? The new TT that we have seems to have a good bit more power compared to the 2004 model. Same engines 27hp/lc Kawi. Thanks.:usflag:

8. lubricity

The best way is take it for a ride. put the blades on and throttle up. You will feel the plate move and cut the power level. A hissing sound will be heard from the carb area.
    It will start and idle or rev normal while sitting there.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

have a TC and WC with the 23 air cool kawi, 800 hours on one and 500 on the other...no muffler problems...

10. lubricity

We just lost another one.
    The tiger muffler is diferent than the others. All our other machines have never had this problem. I can not believe no one else running tigers have not or DO not currently have this problem.
    I would say around 500-800 hours it happens.