Scag Tiger Striper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shultz, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

2. I have a feeling that roller aint goona be out long id bet anything it infringes the patent on big league lawns rollers.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks cool. I always said the roller needs to be behind the wheels.
    No if you could engage it from the seat....for backing up etc.

Jimbo

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, how do you back up? Wouldn't it just try to ride UNDER the mower?

Say you run over a little 5" diameter stump that is at a height of 4". Your cutting at 3.5" and when you see it, you simply push on the deck lift and skim over the stump. Problem is, does this roller? Or would it HOOK on to it and either STOP the mower, or break the roller? Say it goes over it fine, due to the spring action. Problem would DEFINATLEY be BACKING over this SAME small stump! Spring action wouldn't work in this situation!

How about backing up over even a SMALL curb? WOuld you have to get off and manually RAISE the roller? Would it RAISE enough to clear say a 4" curb?

These are just my observations.

5. TOMMY

Also steep hills and landscape ramps i wouldnt doubt it dragging

6. Midwest Mower

Midwest Mower LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this yet?

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's spring loaded so minor contours shouldnt be a big problem.With the pull of a pin you can change it to an up position so that should cover steep ramps.I havnt used it yet but know a few landscapers that do and they really like it.Im still trying to justify the 350.00 price tag when i dont think my scag stripes look bad to begin with.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well there ought to be some more opinions on this since this thread is so old and the product has been out there a while. What do you guys that have used it think?

striper-kit05.jpg

9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I've had both of mine for two seasons now, no problems so far. Never had a problem backing, spring loading handles small objects that get in it's path. We lock them up for loading and unloading and we use short ramps for getting over curbs, whey risk damage to the ZTR or scaring the curb.

10. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I got one with my new scag. I will let you know how it works out. :)

-TAZ