Scag TigerCat vs. Gravely Pro-Turn 152 vs.Grasshopper 223-52 vs. Toro Z Master 3000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by cinco1, May 23, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

The Gravely 200 series is a step up from the Tiger Cat. Its a larger machine with better components. If you dont mind spending the extra $ its a great machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

Thanks for the insight.

Do you guys think the 22hp on the Scag TC 52 and 23.5hp on the Gravely 252 are adequete? I live in NE Oklahoma - not even sure what sort of grass he have here - fescue, native, ?

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the 24.5 on my 452 which has plenty of power. But honestly I cant give you an honest opinion on the 23.5 as I have never used one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

Thank you sir. I see the 452 is about 150# heavier - so I'd guess the 23.5 on the 252 is GTG.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would think that would be plenty of power if your not going to run a bagger. Our 160 has a 25hp kohler (old hp rating) and nothing slows it down not even a steep hill while cutting 1' deep grass.

Here is a video of me cutting my back yard with the 160 last year. Had about 1500 hours on the machine at that time. The grade of my backyard made a JD 920a 60" cry coming up that grade. RPM's could not keep up and the mower would slow down. Notice my backyard is rough. I absolutely #%#@ hate moles. They make my backyard so rough its not even funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsUU6O7kAc

Better shot of cut quality and stripes. No scag can do any better than this. I see them on a daily basis and have never been impressed with scags cut quality. Its not bad but the velocity deck IMO leaves the clippings too long which makes for a shaggy looking cut from a distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwhHW18NxHM

6. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

Thanks for the videos - very nice. I like your backyard. Yep, the bumps I posted about in my yard are caused by moles also - that and the resulting holes dug by my dogs hunting moles - so far they have five kills this year, but about 20 holes. :rolleyes:

What's your opinion of the 152 vs. the 252?

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree you are cutting with some pace, but that grass was pretty short. Do you have any vids cutting like 5-6" grass down to 3 1/2 or so?

8. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

Did you get your mower? I've got the Gravely proturn 60 a little guy compared to the 160 or 260. And mines does very well. Struggles a little in 6 inch wet grass. But I've seen scag turf tigers struggle in the same conditions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Op did you buy that tiger cat?