1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Tigers Cutting Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Jun 7, 2003.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

We run 2 Turf Tigers, 52" & 61". Love the durability of the machines, no problems mechanically. However;

The 52" leaves many stringers espeically when cutting above 3 1/2". Also is leaving a strip of uncut grass on the left side of the deck (not the discharge side).

The 61" does not leave a strip of uncut but also leaves a lot of stringers.

Blades are changed often and are made super sharp with our Magna-Matic. The machines are 2001 and 2002 models with the advantage deck.

Anyone else have this problem with their Scags? Or do you have any suggestions as to why this happens? Have noticed lawns cut with X-Mark are doing a much better job. Seriously thinking about dumping the Scags and going with Toro or X Mark.

Thanks for any input you may have. My son thinks I am sharpening the blades wrong.....
  2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

father and son when you get over 3 and a half you lose quite abit of lift.Try cutting at 3.5
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Check The Pitch Of Your Deck Make sure It's About a Quarter of and inch Higher In The rear. You Should try a Lazer Z Now to see if You Like It Better In this weather.

smaller 664.jpg
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Check pitch and slow down just a hair. I cut about 4" to 4.5" no problem.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

odin is right about that...you're losing needed lift to get a clean cut. Also, check to see if the blade tips are getting rounded off too much. That is a sure sign of leaving strips of uncut grass.
  6. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

they dont make a turf tiger in a 52", you must have a tiger cub. but, if your cub and your tiger have the adjustable baffle system(one reason its called the "advantage" deck), remove the baffle completely for cutting 3.5"+. it clearly states in the manual what position to have the baffle in for particular cutting heights.

i dont have any props that i cut below 4" so the baffle is completely removed, i use stock solid foil blades on all my tigers and cut just fine.

here is a pic.... 4.5" no baffle.....

7. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

yes they do make a turf tiger 52 inch ,we had one a few years ago and they still list a 52 inch tiger on the scag website
  8. LawnSmith

my mistake, sorry. sorta weird to make a 52" cub and 52" tiger. just like its weird to make both 61" in tiger and cub.

damn scag people, lol.
  9. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

yeah lawnsmith scag does have some weird idea's lol.

You use the solid foil scag oem high lfts or the stock medium lifts?
  10. LawnSmith

we use the same type that come w/ the mowers. the solid foil medium lifts i suppose, they arent high lifts i know that much.