Scag tire change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Feb 21, 2003.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Is it possible to change the tires on my Scag (13-6.50-6) with hand tools? The 2 Carlisle Turf-Master tires I ordered arrived yesterday and I need to get them on as my first mow of the season will be next weekend.

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

no problem-just make sure to be relatively gentle putting the new ones on. Make sure to keep the one side directly in the middle of the outer edge (not sure how to write that) The rim has a track that runs the whole way around that is indented a good inch and will allow you to get the tire on without tearing it.

3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it can be done but be prepared to be highly frustrated. I went out and spent $40.00 on one of those do it yourself tire changer from Harbor Freight. Just pop the entire assembly, brake drum and all on the tool and poof the old tire is off and new tire is on. It's a seldom used tool but it sure is nice.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you lube them up really good. That'll make it go a lot faster.
    An extra set of hands also helps out.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to clean the bead around the rim to insure good seal.

6. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Phishook is right on ! Making sure it's well Lubed will make the job so much easier :cool: I have never done a mower tire yet, but have done many motorcycle tires. I bought a tool from JC Whitney. It's a tire iron bent so you can mount or dismount by hitting the tire iron. A mower tire is more flimsey so be careful..

Lou

7. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

is it a walk behind or ztr. This is my specialty! If it is a walk behind then put the rim in a vic and stand on the tire with someone else working the tire onto the rim with a small pry bar or big screwdriver. If it is a ztr then a set of tire spoons would work very good! The tires are very tough and are harder to put on that semi tires! i can do i semi tire and 2 mins and a mower tire in 5 something is wrong!!!

Andy