Scag Tire Cub 800 hrs $2500. Good buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MooseMan89, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Happy New year!

I was looking to buy a ZTR and ran across a Scag Tire Cub 48 24 hp Briggs with 800 hrs. I talked the guy down to $2,500 Cash. The mower seemed like it was in great shape. The only thing he said was wrong was the starter... It's sometimes flimsy..
    Anyway, should I buy it? I'm not rich by any means. Every dollar for me counts because I work hard for my money and dont want to waste anything.

[​IMG]

Secondly, I already have a 48 Hydro John Deere with floating deck and sulky.. Will the ZTR big a significant upgrade over the walk behind? What are some advantages and disadvantages?
    I was thinking of getting the Scag and having my JD as a back up or sell it in the spring... Any input?

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Your John Deere will give you a better cut but might not be as fast. If your set on getting a ztr I would go 52"+. Why get the same size as your walk behind?

3. kube616

kube616 LawnSite Member

My tiger cub is a little older and I payed 3,000 for it. I would say its a great buy. The mower is a great combo of large but not to large for most of the yards I cut. I love mine, handles great, leaves pretty good stripes for no kit, and it cuts great at full speed. I'm like you and was reluctant to pay a lot of money for a mower, but it has payed off well for me. I would buy it if I were you.

4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

24 HP is a lot for a 48 inch deck and scags cut very good in Dewey/wet grass. I would opt for a 52-54 though. Real sale for a 48 will be hard down the road when you out grow it.

5. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy it in a second. Starter is less then $300.00 bucks ....... I couldn't pass it up
    Posted via Mobile Device