1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag, toro or exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddy204, Jan 29, 2008.

1. toddy204

toddy204 LawnSite Senior Member

I have run scag tigers for years now. I love the mower but I hate the cut. I want to try a new Exmark with a 60" triton or a Toro with a 60" turbo force. I want to know all the info I can get from anyone. Please help!!
  2. toddy204

Also would like to know which mower is better to stripe with. They both make kits to improve the stripe but I am told by many that they are not even needed. How do they do on hills? That is one thing about a tiger, they do great on hills.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I can't speak for Exmark's cut but the Toro's cut is excellent.
  4. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

Exmarks are fast, cut great, and leave nice stripes. Toros are slow but they cut great, and the stripes are ok.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have ran and do run all TORO. Next time around though I may switch to exmark.
  6. toddy204

Why are you going to switch to Exmark?
  7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

All toro here. I am going to purchase 3 Kubota 331's this March. They are built so bullet proof. I will continue to use all Toro stuff for everything else though.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Way to many issues with the last three machines that I have bought. Warrenty with dealer is tough, I think they are getting over priced and at this years GIE show - toro rep said they are focusing into the large estate/small commcercial where as exmark reps said they want to stay commercial cuz that is what they have always been. Look at the spindles, decks, etc. Exmark 08 models are being built heavier and better. After 10 years with toro - it may be time to change and if so I am also going to diesel.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark does cut a little smoother than a Scag. But then again there are a lot less complaints on the new Scag Velocity deck than the Triton (by far). I have one of each and the Exmark is an excellent finish mower but the new Scag deck will easily out preform it in wet or overgrown grass. I guess they both have their good and bad points. The Scag Velocity plus and John Deere 7 Iron II decks have the least complaints and the highest satisfaction from what I have been reading the last few years (and from experience). Some love the Triton and some hate it, the Ultra cut is excellent in weekly lawns but will throw a few clumps in area's that the Scag Velocity will not. That's my experience.

Demo in some thick, tall lush spring growth this Spring. That may help you make up your mind. Good luck!
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to break it to you buddy, but Toro and Exmark have the same ground speed for each model. Also the wheel pumps and motors are probably the same as well. Both machines are almost identical.