scag tranny, someone tell me if its gone bad!!1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" SCAG and here is what it is doing.....when you let off the handles with it in gear it makes a very hedious noise that sounds almost like you hit something metal w/ the blades running, when looking closeer eveything spins great coming out of the tranny when you have both brakes pulled, but when you let off they stop for a second then the noice is made and the mower hops into a slow start, then eventually makes it up to full speed... i'm thinking its the tranny but what do you guys think?? the tranny has been on there for about 4 or 5 years now....

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Does this happen in all gears or just your favorite gear?

Sure its just not the engine to trans belt?

The new trannys are only like $179 but you can get just parts for much less.

Do you use a sulky?

How many Hours?

3. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

It does it in most gears, i don't know the hours but like i said 4 years old and i've done atleast 30 yards a week all 4 of those years....i use a proslide, i'm expecting it to be the tranny but just wanted another opinon b/f i ordered....the belt is tight....

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is just part of the convience of using a proslide or a sulkey/Velke. The Proslide will probably drag it more, and if your a bigger guy, its WAY over the mowers "tow rating". I've heard of guys drilling and tapping the gearboxes and adding grease fittings, but if your getting 4-5 heavy years out of it with a proslide, consider it "part of the plan!"

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the Tranny is bad, but I would check that the gear shift lever is tight to the tranny shaft (just to make sure its actually going into gear properly).

Good luck!

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TLS on this one. If you a re using a proslide, there is more drag cause it is harder to move rather than a Velke which has whels that make it easier to follow the mower and not as much drag. I would say it is the tranny going bad.