1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag transmission issue - pushing grease

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jduffy4593, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jduffy4593

jduffy4593 LawnSite Member

Hi - all of a sudden my scag transmission has started pushing grease out of the seals. Started with the drive axel's then the shifter, and I think the drive shaft underneath. Seems like a pressure issue, but I know these are sealed units correct? Not sure its worth taking apart? Anyone run into this?

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a Peeless 5-speed manual, I'm pretty sure it is not under pressure. It uses bentonite grease, not ordinary multipurpose grease. A replacement new unit is, or was, around $200. If your machine has good traction and is not hot to the touch you could try to finish the season as is, then have a look inside, but make sure you can get a replacement fast.

Pretty sure someone will be along soon who knows a lot more about these units.
  3. jduffy4593

jduffy4593 LawnSite Member

That was my plan - get some of the bentonite and keep filling it - get thru this season and see what is up inside - strange how this just "went"