Scag Triple Bag System Owners (wildcat)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Apr 16, 2006.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Just bought a 52" wilcat with the triple bag system with the blower at the discharge chute, is there a way you can discharge with the system, or do you have to remove the bagger. I would like to bag some lawns and discharge some lawns in the same day on our routes. Thanks for your help

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I usually leave the bags on and just pull the hose and the blower unit. Takes about 5 minutes...if that. Loosen the oversize hose clamps on the hose so that you can pull the hose off and put it back on without always having to loosen and tighten with a screwdriver. Just make sure that everything is just tight enough so that it doesn't come off when the blower is on.

I have thought about just pulling a bag off so that it just discharges out that back, but the first time you back up, you;ll covered with dirt, dust, and everything else.

3. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question regarding your bagger blower: Does it also shred material like a Trac-Vac or PeCo unit, or just help blow it into the bagger?

Thanks...

4. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have an exmark ultravac bagger and it shredds it up pretty good

5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get used to how the belt goes on and off you can take the blower unit off in about 20 seconds, and about the same amount of time to put it on. Don't even mess with taking off the top guard on the blower unit. You can reach under it and push in the tensioner by hand. I do the same as you, I bag some, and discharge some. I don't go thru the extra hassle of removing the discharge chute. I clip the hook on the top of the right side pulley guard and off I go.

6. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

So what you do is pull the pin for the blower unit and remove the black metal blower unit totally and clip the large tube to the side. This is my first time with this type of unit and I am dumbfounded as to its "quick" removal and setup. I saw the springt loaded belt tensioner and assumed that if I push on it manually you can remove the belt. The belt and the blower unit will come off right?

7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have received a separate manual for the Grass Catcher. If not, you can go to the Scag website (www.scag.com) and download it for free. It has drawings and instructions on how to remove the blower.

8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Yes, you can manually push on the belt tensioner and take the belt off the spindle pulley, pull the pin and lift the entire blower off the mounting tube. Then I just set it aside. When I'm done cutting I put the blower unit back on the mower, but only pin it and attach the belt if the next lawn I'm going to cut will be bagged. Otherwise I just set the blower unit on the mower and pull it right back off at the next stop. One note, when putting the belt back on after having the blower unit off, be sure the belt is properly routed around the pulleys. The extra two seconds to check for proper alignment is well worth it, trust me. I also recommend to always carry a spare belt at all times for that one time you don't check for proper alignment. :cry:

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a look at trac-vac. I bought one for my chopper and it's a nice unit. What I like is it's just a bracket that goes on the deck and doesn't involve pulleys. You take that bracket it off, on my mower it takes two small pins and it's off the deck and I'm back to side discharge.