1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag TT Engine Selection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Gnome, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Turf Gnome

Turf Gnome LawnSite Member

I just ordered a Turf Tiger with the 29 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. The dealer swears by them. What is the word on the street about these engines vs the other options for the 61" Velocity Plus deck?
    The models in considerations are:
    29 HP LQ Kawa
    31 HP LQ Kohler Aegis
    35 HP LQ Briggs-Vanguard

Did I make the right decision with the 29 HP LQ Kawasaki over the LQ Kohler or LC Briggs?
  2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all in what you want in an engine I guess. I bought the 29 dfi because It has enough power for my accounts and it burns far less gas than the 35 briggs does. If you will look the briggs has 2 fuel pumps compared to the kaw. The 31 kohler I didn't know was coming out but I still would have bought the 29 kaw over the 31 kohler. I have logged about 115 hours on mine and love it. I hade the stripe kit put on when I bought it and it has done wonders on some of my accounts. You can also get a 27 air kohler on the 61 tiger. The 29 is a proven engine and has a great reputation for gas consumption. It actually burns less fuel than my 23 liquid cooled kaw I had on my 52 Tiger. I plan on adding the Scag bagging system this fall and I'm not worried about power. The 29 is a great power plant. By the way i thought you had a big badboy diesel? I thought you "tried out" the 29 TT and it didn't compare to the badboy????? Why would go and get a Turf Tiger?
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Scag Gold dealer in Lexington said that is what they sold 90% of the time. They sold several hundred units and had very few come back with problems. He sold very few Briggs but more came in with problems. The 31 Kohler is new, not as tested, but has a very good warranty (3 years). As far a power goes the Briggs is easily the winner but most people don't need that much power. I would feel very good about your decision, unless you are constantly cutting overgrown lawns then you will just have to go a little slower. For some reason the small dealers sell more 27 Kohlers which are a fine engine but a little weak for a Tiger in my opinion.

You should get many thousands of good hours out of the Kawasaki and should use less fuel doing it. I have heard a few that didn't like the fuel usage but according to test you should use about 20-25% less.
  4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about the 29 Kawi, but my 22 liquid cooled Kawi is over 1800 hours without any problems. Still runs like new. I also have a friend with a 22 that just went over 2600 hours with no trouble. I'm sure your luck will be as good with the 29.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What happened to the Diesel Bad Boy? I doubt the Kaw would hold a light to that.
  6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The 35 burns twice the fuel of the aegis or the 29. I think it was over 3 gallons per hour. The 29 and 31 are the same. My experience is that kohlers like to burn oil, but are a tough engines. The Kawis are more sensitive, but run smoother. I just picked up a 29 TT and it has been OK so far. I only have a few hours on it, but without the bagger on it is fine. With the bagger and weights on it works hard. It is enough to run the bagger on a hill, but you wont be breaking any records. I found 2-3 weights is more than enough when bagging and the saved weight makes a difference. My only complaint about the engine is the oil is miserable to change. The drain valve is hard to get to, and I never figured out why no one makes a system to get the filter off without getting oil on everything. The machine itself is larger and feels heavier than my lazer, but it feels like a tank. Im scared of what will happen if I hit something. The machine doesnt cut as well as advertised in wet conditions as I experienced clumping, and I have been getting stringers on any lawn that is not thick. Im waiting for new blades to see if that helps.
  7. Turf Gnome

The BB was a demo for a week. I didn't own it and was comparing it against other top brands out there. After reading various posts about Scag vs Bad Boy vs Hustler, I decided to demo a Scag. Mike has said Scag is the best, so I did the one day challenge from my local Gold dealer, and they won from overall fuel costs, horsepower/torque the Bad Boy wins, but it's also a heavier machine so it needs the HP. The diesel torque can't be beat on the 35 HP Cat. The fuel consumption after 1 day was amazing compared to the Bad boy, it's also smaller in overall length then the bad boy ASOD (35HP diesel) and lighter too, so the HP to weight ratio was better. Diesel is climbing up to 5.00 a gallon here and well, that's a ton of money that I just need to hold on to in these tight economic times. So, I took mikes (and others) advice and went to the Scag dealer nd placed an order on the 29 HP (Kaw. L/C engine)
  8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

That's what I have and it's been the best decision I've ever made. It's quiet, plenty of power, and uses only .98 gallons/hr. You made the right decision!!!!!:clapping::clapping:
  9. Turf Gnome

That's exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks!
  10. Turf Gnome

It was a week demo on the Bad Boy The ASOD is one hell of a machine. Compared to the Scag is almost equal, yet somewhat better in raw torque and HP for sure. The Scag wins on a few things (aside from performance) the cheaper price for unleaded over diesel (about a buck per gallon), the shorter wheelbase, the ROLPS standard, the spindles are beefier on the Scag, the deck is 1" wider - (yipee!) The fuel consumption is way better on the smaller HP engine (Kaw 29 LC) There are more dealers and they've been around longer. So, if something goes wrong; I can always get a part/service. Bad boy is somewhat new and scares me for long term problems, etc. However, the Bad Boy is a great machine and a little bit cheaper too, but I think they still need to prove themselves and I don't want to be the one to beta test anything. I need a proven winner. But they are very close in many aspects.