scag tt leaving a strip of grass in the center of the cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Jul 2, 2007.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I have a 29 dfi 61 tt and i am having a problem with it leaving a strip of uncut grass in the center of the cut can anyone help me with the right way to set this deck up to cut the best , what pitch has everone found that works the best with the vel. deck and how do you go about seting it up thanks Shawn

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like you may have a short blade on one side of the mower resulting in not enough blade overlap (Ive done it before not thinking about what I'm doing and ended up putting two blades from a 48"(three blade machine) onto a 36" machine....ooops).... before you start messing with pitch I recheck your blade sizes... and make sure that you have the proper sized blades. or that one of your blades has not been sharpened so much that its shorter than it was when new...

I have a 61 tiger cub with the 25 kawi and have no "missing" grass issues. FWIW

3. TCossuto

TCossuto LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Sometimes with my 3 blade I will get a random stripe down the middle if grass is tall/wet. What about that? Blades can be sharp enough to shave with too.

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Could be a bent deck. Did you hit a pipe or rock recently?

Lift up the deck, turn the blades so that they are close to one another, the bottoms should be the same level. An 1/8" of difference can leave a noticeable stripe.

5. TCossuto

TCossuto LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

No, I didn't. The other guy may have.

I did go the wrong way with my impact wrench trying to get the blades off and snapped the bolt right in half. Couldn't have bent the blades or anything, and I replaced all 3 with brand new bolts.

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I was directing my reply to the guy that started this thread.

7. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I have a quick 36 samurai and was getting a "barely noticable" line of missed grass a hair left of center. I had just replaced the blades and thought perhaps i missed something. When i checked i had a large clump of dried grass stuck under the deck in that exact spot, left center. I cleaned it out and the next lawn was back to normal!!

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no expert but I had the same problem and solved it. If the 3 anti scalp rollers that stick out in front of the deck are in the bottom hole, move them up to the top hole and see if that works better. My problem was with the new velocity deck. I have asked other guys if they had a problem and they say no and when I look atheir mowers the rollres are in the bottom hole.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Great tip......thanks

10. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys I will check every thing out and let you guys know the blades are changed daily and the deck is scraped thanks Shawn