1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag TT vs. Bad Boy ASOD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by King Kut, Jun 27, 2008.

1. King Kut

King Kut LawnSite Member

I'm new to the site and I am in the market for a new large size mower.
    I have 2 items that I'm interested in and would like to learn about what you guys/girls think.

Scag Turf Tiger with the 61 inch velocity plus deck and the 29 HP kawasaki liquid cooled engine with the DFI.

Bad Boy ASOD 35 HP Caterpillar Diesel Engine with the 60 inch deck.

What is the good word about these mowers in over all performance, fuel usage, problems, etc. Thanks in advance.
  2. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

What dealerships are around you? Personally i am a scag guy so i would buy the scag. one of my scags has 4,000 hrs and the other 3,150 hrs and they are both going strong still. obviously you have to maintain them to get them to last that long, and occassionally a hydro pump but i think they are well worth the money spent for what you are going to get out of them.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a twin brother named Turf Gmome?
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

:laugh::laugh::laugh: This does seem a little familiar doesn't it Tacoma ?
  5. King Kut

King Kut LawnSite Member

I am located 4 miles or so south of NY border. We don't have much out here.
    I don't know what a turf gome and do not have any siblings. I have 6 acres to cut and want to cut it down fast because it's always a hassle to mow. We use a massey furgerson with an attachment on it, however it is quite a pain to change out so a zero turning mower is the way to go.
  6. King Kut

King Kut LawnSite Member

Travelocity is a gome. I just figured it out!
  7. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Either one should be a good choice. The scag is a tough, proven mower and while the Bad Boy combo you mentioned is a newer model, it should be more than enough mower for your needs. Each mower has it's advantages. The Scag will cut very well in nearly all conditions and holds hills very well. The Bad boy will be faster(if you can mow that fast on your property) and will ride better. The fuel usage should be fairly close but the Bad Boy will have alot more power. Dealer service is an important factor also. I know you didn't mention these combo's that i'm going to bring up, but just my opinion, I would look strongly at the Scag TT with the 31 HP EFI Liquid cooled Kohler. It has alot more torque than the 29 DFI Kaw and fuel useage has been reported to be about the same. In the Bad Boy line, I would look hard at the 28 HP diesel Cat with the 60" deck. It will have more than enough power for you and will probably use a little less fuel than the gas engines. Any of the ones mentioned should work well for you, though. Razorblades.
  8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 29 dfi Scag tiger 61". Both of these units you talk about will serve you well. I mean a 35 cat diesel on a mower is going to be an awsome machine for sure. The Tiger is best for me due to smaller properties and the weight is less than the Badboy (rutting yards). There is just no dealer support here for the badboys. And the dealer support I have from my Scag dealer can't be touched so its Scag for me.
  9. King Kut

King Kut LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'll check them out soon. I want to save up a few bucks first. I've read some of the other posts on this site and they all seem comparable in performance. I guess it's a matter of dealer support as you guys say. I don't want to have something break and I have to order it from Arkansas. Stay tuned!
  10. Turf Gnome

Turf Gnome LawnSite Member

What's this supposed to mean? I'm assuming it's a shot at me?