Scag Turf Tiger 61 with 25 kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Mar 29, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Is this 25 kohler enough engine to run this scag 61 Turf tiger i just bought, it doesnt seem to have the power i thought. I did get a screaming deal on her though, $8ooo out the door new. can anyone tell me otherwise. thanks

2. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

BufalinoLand, We just picked up our new TT today this is number two, we love'em no problem with power and we run doubles. Both mowers have 25hp and 61 inch decks, we had the
    Donaldson air cleaner installed on the new one, $8100 with
    tax. We have been running high octane fuel and it seems to make a difference.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Just bought a new z with 25 kolher and 60" deck. Plenty of power.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey BufalinoLand
    U definatly got a deal on your Turf Tiger, We just bought a Turf Tiger 52 Advantage Kaw 22HP Liquid cooled for $7800 then plus tax and prep. ended up at $8250. First buy on Scag and have heard good things about them,
    Good Luck
    Matt

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

BufalinoLand,

The shaft and gearbox will suck some power compared to belts, however, a 25 should power this combo OK. What is it that makes you think that this is not powerfull enough? Is it bogging a lot? You may want to have your dealer check your govoner settings, and the RPM's. Some mowers only come from the factory at 3450 or so. Crank them up to at least 3600, more when its broken in.

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Guys come to Indiana..you can pick them up for 7200.00 61 inch 25 hp kohler.....Mine does well...

7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I really cant imagine it being so different, the two machines that is, but my 61" chariot runs excellent with the 25 kohler with doubles. In fact i have never even hit enough grass to bog it yet. Then again it does have pretty low hours. =)

8. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Paid $7,600 for a 61" / 25 HP at end of season 1999.

I wouldn't mind having a little more horsepower. (But then again, I say that with everything I have that has a motor attached to it.)

9. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I have to agree with the power thing. I have a 99 Tiger with 25 and 61. This machine will not carry itself up a steep hill on its own and with the single high lifts I have to stop forward progress on an uphill to regain rpm. I'm only cutting a third or so each time so it's not like I'm cutting 4 inches or anything. I'm going to try all synthetics in the cutter deck gear box and engine this year. Maybe this will make a slight impovement. I'm going to talk to the dealer to see what rpm the motor is set to and the feasibility of upping it. I'm surprised more people don't have this gripe. I unsure the 27 kaw would be any better.

10. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

In Kentucky, a 61' 25hp Turf Tiger sells for $7395 plus tax, and that's there asking price, you can drop them down a little more. I have a 25 horse Kohler on my 61' dane and Turf Tiger, and they are plenty powerful
    But I do have one question, my friend in the biz bought a 52' tiger cub with a 21horse kawi on it for 6700, This is an outstanding price, but the regular 52 tiger is about 300 dollors difference with a 23 kohler......I wonder why the big difference in price?