Scag Turf Tiger Hydro drive gone bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Jul 21, 2005.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2002 Scag Turf Tiger that has a hydro drive that has gone bad. My dealer is in the process of tearing down the wheel motor to see how much damage has been done to it. Fortunately I stopped using it as soon as it started making noise. He tells me that Scag has had some problems with their hydro drives. This same drive was replaced a few months after I purchased it. I have relatively low hours on my machine less than 400 hours and just a little over 3 seasons of use. Has anyone else had any experience with premature hydro drive failure? This repair may cost upwards of $700 if Scag does not take some responsibility.
  2. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

Dude, we've had four Scags and every pump has been replaced at least once. After five or six years, we've found a small hydralic shop, minutes from our mower shop. So far, his rebuild is holding up very well, after ten months, not sure about the hours. Anyhow, it cost us $150 for parts and labor. Before you let your dealer and scag make a bunch of money, do some major investigating.
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I just replaced a hydo pump on my Crap Tiger last week. it's a 2003 and seen my crappy dealer more than me.
  4. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

My wheel motor just went on me last week as well. I just got it in August of last year and my dealer says that it should be under warranty. I pick it up tomorrow so we will see if it is. They also told me a price of over $700 if not under warranty.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Just an update. My Scag dealer has been in contact w/ Scag and Scag has agreed to pay for all parts. So far a hydro pump and wheel motor. I am responsible for labor. So $400-$500 vs. over $1000. Makes it a little easier to swallow. My dealer tells me that they are very careful with rebuilds and even fluid changes. If they find any metal shavings at all in the hydro oil tank they tear down the whole thing and inspect it. Unfortunately I won't get my machine back til mid next week. My backup is a little slower and tempermental so I'll be enjoying myself a little longer in this weekend's heat.