Scag Turf Tiger Hydro pump cooling fans??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Oct 19, 2007.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Well I think I have decided to go ahead and spend a little more and get a Turf Tiger over the Wildcat. However I am a little confused over something I saw at the dealer today. I was looking at 2 different Turf Tigers at the dealer, but one of them had cooling fans on the hydo pumps, and the other did not. Both were liquid cooled Kawasaki gas engines. I asked the girl at the dealer why, but she did not know why one had them and the other did not. The person at the dealer you would normally ask technical questions was out sick. Does anyone on here know what the difference is and why on these cooling fans?

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told that no fans were your first 07 models. Your ones with fans was later model 07 and new 08 models. I think its one of the best mods I have seen in a long time.

3. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

The only differences I know of on these 2 mowers was that the one with the cooling fans on the hydro pumps was a 29hp Kawasaki, and the mower that did not have them was a 27 hp KAwasaki. Both were 61" decks, and both liquid cooled. DOes anyone know if the pumps are the same or not between the two. I am only concerned that maybe the mower with the cooling fans had pumps that required the fans, and the mower without the fans had better advanced pumps that eliminated the need for these fans. The fans do look like something else that could give a problem later possibly.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 29hp has a different drive system than the 27hp. Wheel motors (I think) are different as well as the top speed is 12mph on the 29 and 10mph on the 27.

I guess it makes sense to add the fans on the faster machine.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the 29 hp and above Turf Tigers run 12 mph and not doubt they're hydraulics are different. I never hear of problems with either set up though. I wouldn't sweat it, the 27 Kawasaki Turf Tiger is a proven performer. I just don't hear of a lot of problems with the Turf Tigers period.

Read this from Scag:
    Heavy-duty hydraulic drive system includes dual 16cc Hydro-Gear pumps, and Hydro-Gear (27hp models) or Ross wheel motors (diesel, and 29hp and larger gas models) for reliable, Zero Turn maneuverability. Hydro-Gear BDP-16A (16cc) hydraulic pumps provide smooth, positive and reliable power to the drive wheels. Extra large input bearing, input shaft and internal components add to reliability and performance. Built-in pressure relief valves reduce internal pressure spikes and add to pump life.

"29hp and larger models feature a cooling fan mounted directly to the pumps providing additional cooling for added pump life".

Auxiliary hydraulic oil coolers keep oil temperatures within a safe operating level and adds to hydraulic system component life.
    12 MPH (diesel, and 29hp and larger gas models) or 10.5 MPH (27hp models) forward speeds and 5 MPH reverse speeds keep productivity at a maximum.

There are thing you will learn on Lawnsite that the dealers are often unaware of.

6. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Thanks again Tacoma for the wealth of info. That explains it all. I have been on the Scag website and I never saw that info.......Tacoma, since you have both a Wildcat and a Turf Tiger, how do these two mowers compare on hills? I have a pond in my back yard with a slope to it, and my house also has a walkout basement with the typical 10' drop from front yard to the back yard. Nothing too severe, but I also have a ditch in the front yard that is steeper than the yard or the pond slope.

7. tacoma200

No I don't own a Wilcat, but someone on here may be able to help you that have used both. The Turf Tiger is larger wider and has a lower center of gravity due in part to the fuel tank being below the seat. I don't know how a wildcat would do on a hill? any one else help here?

8. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Sorry Tacoma, I misunderstood. I thought you at some point had owned both. I really want the Turf Tiger while knowng full well that the Wildcat will probably do everything I need to do. I guess I am trying to talk myself into the Turf Tiger by convincing myself it would do better on my hills. I also really like the driveshaft PTO vs the belt drive, but I am again also aware that the belt drive of the WIldcat would likely really be maintenence free. Decisions Decisions. I only want to do this one time, so I want to get what I "want", not necessarilly what I "need". I am sure there are many guys on here that know what I mean by that:dancing: !

9. tacoma200

If your mowing decent sized properties I'd still say the Turf Tiger. If you are cutting weekly normal growth smaller lawns the Wildcat is probably what the rest of the guys will recommend. The Tiger is heavy and I have to be careful on smaller lawns (up to 15,000 sq ft) while it excels on 1/2 acre and above lots that are thick and sometimes mowed bi-weekly. Take your time and demo them this spring and you will get a better idea what will work for you. The Tiger is like a bull in a china factory on very small lawns, not the most agile or best handling. The wildcat would probably trim better with a large deck. You really need to spend some seat time.

If you are cutting primarily southern grasses and small weekly jobs I might recommend the Exmark AS series also. It handles much better than a big Scag but the deck will need scraping every now and then. As I've said before my Exmark will give a crisper cut than the Scag but the Scag will handle a greater variety of mowing conditions (wet, Spring growth, overgrown, etc) Hustler is also a favorite in Southern grasses but not in the type mixed grass we have here. No way your going to know until Spring, demoing in the lush condtions what you like. But I wouldn't let $1000 get in the way to get the mower I wanted and would be using for years to come. Get a full Suspenion seat, you won't regret it on any brand.

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

If you going to mow hills go ahead and get the Tiger. The Tiger will hold hills alot better than the Wildcat. I have owned both machines and this is my experience.