Scag Turf Tiger maintenance tips, please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bill E, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Bill E

Bill E LawnSite Member

Hi, I just bought a used Tiger, model STT61-22KA / serial # 4350781. I will be using it to mow just my yard, about 3 acres. I did a search on Scag TT and have been reading all the old posts. Very informative site. I have some questions that I would like to ask about taking care, and getting the best life/performance out of it.
    I bought it from a local Scag dealer that I know, and like, very well. It has 1500 hours on it and I paid $3200 for it. It is in very nice condition. It has the standard deck (squared front edge), I think. It has a new back frame and drive shaft. Dealer told me old shaft caused back end to crack and this was an updated style.
    I just changed all the fluids. I used regular 20w-50 engine oil for hyd. Should I change it out to synthetic 20w-50?
    I printed off the manual from the Scag web site. It shows a baffle, and it is on the deck, it mounts inside the deck on the backside of the discharge opening. It also has the baffles/shields on the backside of the deck that follow the pattern of the blades, but nothing under the front side of the deck. Are there any other shields or anything I should do to get the best cut from this deck?
    What year do you think it is?
    I read something about the Kawi motors - bigger carb only difference between 22hp and the 25hp?
    The blades look to be the Gator style, I would guess. The lift portion of the blade is serrated, about 5 little blades on the wing/lift portion of the blade. Sorry about the long post. I guess what I am asking is, what is the best set up and best things I can do to this mower to make it the best it can be? I live in northern Illinois, don't plan on mowing when it is wet, and want to mow as fast as I can and still have it look good. Please don't tell me to get another mower :) Again, sorry about the long post. Thanks for any information you can give me!
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Grease the spindles and drive shaft pulley every 25 hrs.

Everything other zerk 100 hrs.

Use 10W-30 motor oil. Synthetic oil would be best. Drain/refill oil every 50 hrs. Change the oil filter every oil change.

Blow off the mower with a leaf blower, don't wash it and then hose it down. If it's greasy, wipe the grease off but don't use grease cutter to remove it.

Park it indoors.
  3. Bill E

Bill E LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. What about the blades that came with it? If my yard is smooth enough, will that old style deck be able to mow at top speed and do a good job? I didn't see anything in the manual about the deck wheel settings. I have always mowed my yard at 2.5 inches. With it at that setting the wheels are set at 3/4 inch from the ground in the front and about 1 inch from the ground in the back. Is that correct? I have adjusted the deck level from side to side and 1/4 inch lower in the front than the back. Thanks again.
  4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get rid of the mulching blades and use Scag marbain high-lifts. We own the newer TT with the Velocity plus deck and we have it adjusted level---zero pitch. The Advantage deck is a good deck. I'd push the TT as fast as you can on your turf until you start to see stringers, then back down the speed a little. Never run at partial throttle---full throttle all the time---your hydro pumps will respond better and your blade tip speed will be where it was designed by Scag to be.
  5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

What advantages (or disadvantages) have you found in not running any pitch?
  6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

You might try Bobcat offset high lift blades. I've run them exclusively for the last eight years. It creates a lot of wind under the deck allowing you to disperse the clippings well. Check your spindles. They may not be greaseable if they don't have a zert. Most of the newer ones are sealed. Synthetic oils are always better. Gas filter is easy to change. You will get many years of service out of a Scag. The deck and frame are built like tanks. I know, I've put them thru the test. Good luck.
  7. Bill E

Bill E LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. Yes, the spindles are greaseable. I think I have all the basics covered. Just wanting to make sure I get the Tiger dialed in as best I can through your knowledge and past experience. I probably won't get much of a chance to try it out till next year. Looks nice sitting in the shop though.
    I am a little concerned about the dependabilty of the hyd drive system, looking at old posts, that comes up alot. Thanks,