Scag Turf Tiger Or Wildcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, May 3, 2007.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm sarting to look for a new mower,right now I have a Scag Tiger Cub 48",19 HP Kawasaki with a bagger,its been good,the few problems I've had were with the bagger,clogging,belt breaking,etc.,I've also stopped bagging and couldn't be happier.I have some properties that are a few acres,lots of hills dips,holes,weeds and very little in the way of manicured lawns.I want a mower that reliable and can cut in all kinds of conditions.I just read tacoma200's comparison of SCAG vs Exmark and was very impressed with his honest review of the machines.I did think about DC but have read a lot of negetive comments about them.I'm also interested with how Kubota compares to SCAG.I'm looking for help in decideing between a Turf Tiger and a Wildcat?What are the major differences?What size deck(50"-60")?What about engine?Water cooled or not?Diesel?Durability and reliability are the most important things to me.I know leaves aren't the thing on everyones minds right now but can I multch leaves down where I don't have to worry about bagging?I know I have a bunch of question and I appreciate the help,thankyou.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard nothing but good about the Wildcat. I think it depends on how large your accounts are. The Turf Tiger is a big heavy built machine and not as nimble as some other mowers out there. But in my area the lots average 1/2 to 2 acres so the Turf Tiger is the better choice. I don't see reliability as an issue with either. If you get too small a deck you will loose some of you trim ability because it won't stick out past the tires enough. The water cooled engine should last longer but many like the simplicity of an air cooled (the guys here could argue all day on that). If you plan on keeping it a very long time it may pay to get a water cooled engine. The diesel Turf Tiger no doubt is a great machine but I'm sure it's heavy as most diesels are. Most engines these days will pass the 2000 hr mark easily enough. Good luck. Lots of guy on here know Scags a lot better than me. This Turf Tiger is my first but I'm happy with it.

3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I like the fact that the Turf Tiger is shaft driven compared to belt driven on the wildcat.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the wildcat is a top mower,the turf tiger is around 2k higher in price how much are you willing to spend.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i have 61" cub and 52" cat with same kawi power plant

i love the cat..... deck and engine are perfect fit. 300 hours on the cat and 700 on the cub. no problems except for two of the split steel pullies coming apart. dealer covered it.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Wildcat with 26hp LC Kawasaki. It cuts great, more than enough power. Fuel consumption is probably less per cut on my 1.75acre lot compared to the old JD 48" Lx277 with 17hp Kawasaki. My only complaint if it is that, is that the deck does not extend far enough to the sides of rear wheels, but I knew that going in. I had to consider door width where I store unit, so 52" was the only one to choose. the 61" would just be to tight when backing in. I would definetly choose the same unit again.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Same here we bought the 52 inch lc kaw this mower is awesome the ct and handling with the striping kit we leave looking good.

8. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the help.
    tacoma,do you have a water or air cooled engine?I'm looking to spend between $8000-$10,000,a lot depends on what I can trade in or sell my Tiger Cub for.It seem the differences between the Wildcat and the Turf Tiger are,double tube frame,bigger engine,drive shaft,bigger pump motors and I'm sure I'm missing something.Any moresuggestions would be appreciated.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

better seat.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have to say I'm not an expert on Scags line up. But the Turf Tiger is just a step up, a little bigger everything but not necessarily better. Just like Exmark makes a Lazer AS, Lazer and the top of the line XS. Just larger frames and components but this doesn't mean the smaller versions are any less of a mower. Sounds like you should take a test drive. The Tiger is a very heavy duty mower for demanding conditions, large lots, and has a very low center of gravity so it hold hill very well. You can get a 28 EFI liquid cooled Kawasaki on a Turf Tiger for just a bit over $10,000 if you bargin with them. This is probably the model I would have picked but I got the one on sale with the 31 hp air cooled Briggs and Straton and saved a couple of thousand (left over model). I don't see anything wrong with the Wildcat. Unless your mowing large area's and putting several hundred hours per year on a mower the Turf Tiger may be more than you need.