Scag Turf Tiger project (pics)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wvaughn7, Jun 11, 2011.

1. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Well we recently purchased a 72" Turf Tiger from the city that was used by some park employees to mow the park. It is a 2005 with a 29 horse DFI Kawasaki liquid cooled engine. It has the 830 hours, and s 72 inch Advantage deck. As many would expect it wasn't treated all that well. The maintenance was performed though, because the park director was in charge of that, and he has to use his budgeted money to buy the mowers. For this fact we decided we would possibly be able to buy it cheap and have a cosmetically horrendous mower that was still in good shape mechanically. At this point we threw in a lowball bid so that if we won it was a great deal, but if we did't we wouldn't be disappointed. Long story short no one else puts in a bid and we get it. :clapping: Since then we have completely restored it so to speak. We stripped thw whole mower down to nothing but an engine and frame. From there we sanded and painted most everything, unless it was in good condition already. Mechanically all we had to do was put new bearings in the spindles, get a leak in the radiator fixed, reweld the seat frame where a guy had broke it off while using it, and weld somewhere around 20 cracks in the deck. Here are some of the before pics.

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

After the before mentioned improvements here is how everything came out.

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Great job! What I want to know is how in the #@%^#$& does somebody tear up a deck like that?

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice work! It is really amazing how much abuse a Scag can take. I can't even imagine what those city workers did to that mower...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

I really have no idea, that was the exact same thing we were thinking. Best we could figure is that he was full speed and caught the corner of the deck on a stump or curb.

6. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

Wow that was beat to hell for an 05. Good work It looks great. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it and how much do you have in it?

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

looks brand new after all that work you did to it

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

simply fantastic. very nicely done and basically a new mower for you. the hours are low really for that mower as long as the engine was maintained well.

9. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

We bid $4100 on it which I believe was a steal. We had a $40 dollar radiator repair, 4 cans of Scag Cats Eye Gold spray paint at a painful $16.50 a can for a total of $66, $65 for a new deck belt, $5 for two new dust caps for the castor arms, $98 for 6 new spindle bearings, and probably $25 in weld wire, gas for the welder and torches, and cut off wheels etc... Overall we are figuring we are $4400 or so. What would you all think it is worth now?

10. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Did you price new decals? Just curious how much they cost.