Scag Turf Tiger Propane...users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We bought a unit that has the propane conversion kit on it. What kind of
    time will we get on a 7.9 gallon tank with the Vanguard and 61" deck. This unit only has one tank mounted. Our first thought was to reconvert back to gas(this unit has 300hr on it) but maybe we want to give this propane a shot. Like to hear from others using propane.

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I do not own one but I looked into it. Propane will burn cleaner and you will see the difference in oil color and combustion chamber if you took a look at it. But it will cost more per hr to run and be a hassle to get fill ups etc.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why will it cost more on propane the gallon cost is $1.99? We are looking into having a big tank at one of our locations to fill up the tanks.

4. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just think you could have cookouts at the job site now too.:laugh:

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

You will use more per hr. A gallon has less btu's. Run it and see how many gal/hr your at.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ehansen@competitivelawn.c

ehansen@competitivelawn.c LawnSite Member

All,

We have one of our units that is up to 3500 hours on it. A 17 hp Kawasaki 540V and we just had the head gasket off to see how every tolaronce was holding out. Looked perfect inside and we put it back together. I believe its going to go to 6000 hours. Try that on a gas engine. Usually a rod is blown through the wall on gasoline after 3000 hours.

Best Regards,

Eric Hansen

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly why we put propane on our newest 17hp wright.....rod went at around 1200 hrs costing us about $1700.

8. ehansen@competitivelawn.c

ehansen@competitivelawn.c LawnSite Member

Oh, and it does not cost more, we are at 1.70 per gallon with tax. The site won't allow me to tell you who, where, what, or why because I would be doing sales or promotion and disclosing my vendors. Makes it hard to speak around the question.

Best Regards,

Eric Hansen, President
    www.greenpropanepower.com

9. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

Propane would be a total PITA, gas is way more convenient!

10. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

I don't know that that's true, but the costs to set everything up would be large.