1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turf Tiger rear wheel Valve Stem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flashbang, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Better yet install the all metal type that can't get ripped out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well gota hand to the guy he was tryign to cover all bases but this is what happens with internet. Sometimes you get way toooo much information and most of it is bad.

3. flashbang

flashbang LawnSite Member
    from ny

^
    This is True

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

get a valve core tool when you go to the store. take a knife and cut off inside part of old stem and it will come right out. stick new stem into hole and screw core tool onto it. tie a loog of starter rope and loop it over the 2 "wings" on the core tool and use the rope as a handle to pop it thru the rim

5. flashbang

from ny

The jig is up. The little dickens is a TR412 which is 7/8" effective length. No local store has these by me, but ebay has them for a dollar a pop shipped.
    other manufactures and part numbers below
    TR#: TR412
    Hamaton: 1-101
    Dill: T-12R
    Haltec: TV-412
    Myers: 26118
    31Inc: 17-412
    Tech: TR412

Would have be nice for Scag to list a number.
    [​IMG]
    A: 1-5/16"
    B: 7/8"
    C: 0.453"
    [​IMG]
    Max. psi: 65

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let us all breath a sigh of relief that this crisis is over.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What is the point.....I use auto stems in all my equipment and have no problems. ..Are you saying that my stems might be having slow leaks?

8. flashbang

from ny

The point is quite clear in my post.
    I am not saying that your stems have a leak nor did I imply it. In the simplest terms when you replace a tire it is recommended to replace the complete valve stem for two reasons. One to eliminate a possible source of a previous undetected leak, and two the rubber has a usable shelf life before it dry rots, cracks and ultimately fails. It is easier to replace the stems with the tire off also. My tires are used and the machine is not new. I do not know if the stems are original. Some people who have more money than others would just take them to a reputable tire installer and they will replace the stems with the tire install. Others not so fortunate or who wish to mount themselves' typically do not have a stock of valve stems to pick from. Knowing the correct size and type will help anyone out looking to mount at home. Now that after many hours of research the correct OEM size and type have been discovered, I hope this will help others out.
    Thanks to all.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Just go to a tire shop and get two. I had two new tires mounted and out the door for $200. That was for two 24x12.00x12 Turf Masters by Carilse. The tire shop replaced the stems when they did the tires. They are the small stems that are used as oem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have never, in my 54 years, seen anybody worry about their valve stems. I have mounted thousands upon thousands of tires and never had anybody question whether the valve stem I'm putting in was the right length.

I don't recall having ever seen it being the subject of discussion here at Lawnsite before.

Thank you for your helpful contribution. :waving: