Scag Turf Tiger Stripping Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Jun 22, 2001.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag Turf Tiger with a 52inch Advantage Deck, we got it in april, and it has been cutting great until these past couple of weeks. The stripping pattern on some of the lawns looks like a three wheeler lawn mower cut the grass, or in other words a darker stripe down the middle of the cut. I have adjusted the four corner rolers to see if that would work but that hasn't helped. I've checked the pitch of the deck and i think its pitched the correct way. The weird thing though is that some yards it looks great, the stripe looks like a ZTR had cut the yard, others it looks like a three wheeler had cut it.
    SO any help or advice would be greatly apriciated.

(Lawn Man) from Wisconsin

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

How often do you sharpen the blades?

3. mklawnman

We cut our blades back when it had 57hrs on it, now the hours on the machine are at 98, so i figure, we will sharpen the blades soon. Is 50hrs too long on blades? The cutting seems fine, or do you think the blade is starting to tear at the grass instead of cutting it??
    Lawn Man

4. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

We sharpen every week and try not to go no more than 2 weeks.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I put sharp blades on every day. You won't believe the difference in the cut. This is your problem. A dull blade will shorten the grass, but it is beating it to death, not cutting it when they have that many hours on them. They are to dull for me after about 6 hours of cutting. You should of sharpened them about 20 times by now, so you are way over due.

Shame on you John going 2 weeks. :(

6. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

mklawnman, you should be sharpening those blades at least every 8 hours!
    I think that will solve your problems. Try running doubles they work great on the Advantage decks.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen every 10-15hrs. This is the major problem with your bad cut. Also, check your tire pressures. Get a good 0-15 PSI tire guage. Tire pressuse can cause 1/4" either way without "looking" flat or overinflated. With the 3 stripes you are complaining about, you may have TOO much front pitch and you are actually seeing the ark of the blades diameter digging in too much at the fronts OR the backs. Kinda tough to explain on the puter. There are many adjustments you can make to properly level a deck, but none of them will work unless your blades are sharp. The longest I have gone is 25hrs between blade changes. If you dont hit any rocks or sticks and dont mow any driveways, they stay relatively sharp just cutting grass!

8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes I agree, I change blades daily as well. Last year it was every other day, I am much happier this year.

9. mklawnman

I plan on sharpening the blades this weekend. Also i have done many adjustments to the pitch by turning the spring rods for the deck adjustment, i have been reading the scag manual, and i have checked tire pressures, and they r just fine, just like the book says. Im hoping its just dull blades. I'll remember next time to sharpen the blades sooner, this is my first ZTR so im kinda new at it, though when the deck is perfect, i make straght as an arrow cut and stripes. Love the machine, just need to sharpen the blades and hope it works.
    Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

Lawn Man

10. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I sharpen every day also. You'll have much better results, and it really dont take that much time to swap out a set of blades.