Scag Turf Tiger vs Bad Boy AOS vs Hustler Z XR-7

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmalaker1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cmalaker1

cmalaker1 LawnSite Member

OK,

I am about to embarq on an expensive purchase and I have narrowed my search to these three. Here is my situation:

10 acres of lawn - fescue in Missouri - rolling hills w/ lots of bumps right now (I am looking to roll to flatten things out)

I like the idea of mulching, but from what I read, it is better to blow????

Ideas? Opinions?? pros and cons??? scalping issues???? :dizzy:

Thanks in advance!!!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had the Super Z Hustler very comfortable, good ride, especially with the flex forks. I now have a Turf Tiger because it does better on the grass/weeds in this area. I would get all the power I could with the Super Z, those big pumps and motors really suck the power. You will just have to demo them on your type grass. I can tell you that the Scag is built very well and the Velocity deck will cut in almost any conditions and it hold hills very well. I haven't demo'ed a Bad Boy so can't comment. In certain type grasses the Super Z does well and is the most comfortable I've been on. The Scag Velocity deck is an amazing design, not the smoothest, I give that to Exmark but it can handle much more grass. You really need to demo them on your home turf. Do some searches and you will find fans of all the above.

3. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

last but not least, cub cadet tank. bing bang bong!

4. cmalaker1

cmalaker1 LawnSite Member

Tacoma - When you say not the best ride, are you saying the Scag is tough on the bod when there is a lot to do???

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the Turf Tiger and can say they are an awsome machine. Have tried the Badboy and they had good ride but weren't the hill machine the Turf tiger is. Do yourself a favor and get a Turf Tiger. Best all around mower out there. Demoed Deere, Exmark, Badboy,and Hustler this past fall and went hands down with the Turf Tiger. In this commercial mower business you get what you pay for. Scag "Simply the Best"

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We run scags every day in thick turf @ high speeds, i love mine..

7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

we bleed cats eye gold.....

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought a super z 66/31 about 3 weeks ago. I demoed the scag, kubota, jd and the hustler. I went with the super z because of the ride and the handling. I have to say that the scag and the kubota had a little better cut but not nearrrrr as comfortable and as the hustler and I liked the handling on the hustler better. Do yourself a favor and try to demo the ones you are thinking of buying, because the bottom line is your the one who will be running this mower. All you have listed are good units.

9. 1parttimer

1parttimer LawnSite Member

Our TT now has 250 hrs and im still in love its not the best ride but in the mix of grass we cut its the way to go. Dont have any hustler dealers cost .:usflag:

10. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We run all Scags and absolutley wouldn't have anything else. I have 2 Turf Tigers and they will cut in any condition (wet or high grass) better than any mower I've ever seen. I have no experience with Hustler or Bad Boy. You also need to look at the dealers for each brand. Make certain they will take care of you after the sale, but buy a Scag!!