1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turf Tiger vs. Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Jan 10, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I am going to be purchasing my first ZTR this year and have narrowed my choice down to the Scag. I haven't shopped around much yet so I really don't know the prices on these 2 models, so feel free to enlighten me. I am looking for anyone with experience with the 2 different mowers to please tell me what you think of them. Also if you prefer one over the other please elaborate. Thanks on advance for any advice you can give me.

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Just to let you know how I feel I sold my Turf Tiger this past year and replaced it with a Tiger Cub. I paid $6,900+tax 52" w /23KAW. Advantages for me were 6" shorter, lighter, shorter which makes the machine easier to maneuver on 1/4 acre lawns. The TT will cost you at least $1,000 more.
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own any Scag units but for what it's worth, I have made inquirys about both the mentioned models and was told by 3 seperate dealers that they have noticed that the Cubs bost minimal down time.

Also......Scag have released a model that sits somewhere inbetween the Cub and the Tiger (can't remebre what their calling it). I would have a look at this model.

Scag make great mowers!

Have fun on ya new machine mate.
  4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

I was just at the scag dealer today they have the new wildcat on the showroom and it is sweet!!! 27hp,61" advantage deck its like a tigercub on steroids. they also have a turf tiger for $8300.00 03" model, brand new they want $8000.00 for the wildcat. The turf tiger is definately a more stout piece but i feel the wildcat would be better for residential yards. some homeowners just do not like those big machines on their yard.its tempting to get the tiger for $300.00 more but i am still leaning towards the wildcat.. hope it helps you a little.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The Turf Tiger is shaft driven and the Tiger Cub has belts(like Exmarks, Toros, etc.). We have a 2003 Tiger Cub 19/48inch. It has about 250 hours with no problem, only routine maintenance. I like the Wildcat, but wish it had same size fuel tank as the Turf Tigers and had the option of the liquid cooled kawasaki.

Lovell's Lawn Care
  6. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

yea the shaft driven deck is nice...liquid cooling would be a plus
  7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2003 tiger more problems that you can shake a stick at. 300 hours and pump belts replace 4 times. I have Exmark Z with 1500 hours and never been in the shop. I would trade the tiger with 300 hours for Exmark with 5000 hours and still get the better mower.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!
  9. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the advice. I don't want to turn this into an Exmark vs. Scag thread, but I have not totally rulled a Lazer out. I like the design of the Scag and I already own a Scag wb that I have had zero problems with. Also I have yet to find an Exmark dealer that I like...my scag dealer is a great help and if ever needed has one of the best shops around.

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 scag wb mowers they have been great over the years. That's way i bought the Truf Tiger. Don't get fooled like i did just because they can built a great wb Don't mean they can do the same with there riders.