scag turf tiger wheel motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ho5tile, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

I have an 06 scag turf tiger 61" with a 27 hp kohler. The problem is the right side wheel motor seems to be getting week. It seems to start out ok but after a few hours (I assume after its hotter) it wont pull the same hills I know it did this summer. This machine only has about 70 or 80 hours on it. could it be some sort of valve or adjustment or am I in trouble here? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it track strait when hot or cold (mower) if not it could be a linkage adjustment. have you checked the belt to that sides pump? make sure the lever on the directional shaft is tight. dump valve tight? more chance it's from the pump back than pump forward (motor) but you can't rule the motor out though.

3. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Yes it does track straight when cold, so I'm not thinking linkage. I will have to go check and see about the belt to the pump. This dump valve is it on the pump or motor ? As far as tracking when hot with no load (on a street) it still seems fine but it just doesn't have any power.

4. khouse

dump is on pump

5. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, I'll check it out this evening.

6. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

06 model it should be under warranty take it back to the dealer and see if they can figure it out

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The dump valve is sometimes called a "freewheel valve" or "pump release" in the owners manual.

8. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

Looks like thats where I am going. Just didnt want to look a like dumb arse by missing a loose bolt or somthing "simple".

9. khouse

If it's under warranty it's not your job to find out what's wrong.
    Beside you don't get paid squat for doing your own warranty work.

10. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Have you changed the oil out in the unit yet? We found that some scags will be much better if you put in new "Tractor Fluid" and I recommend synthetic. The factory fills have varied from 40wt. to 15w40 motor oil. If it is one that has motor oil in it, lets remember that motor oil is made to ABSORB water. Water and hydraulics DO NOT get along.
    It only takes a 1/2 hour, new filter, 1 1/2 gal of fluid. If it still is screwy, then let a competent (if you can find one) repairman fix it.