Scag Turf Tiger with flex forks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Apr 5, 2008.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I was wondering if there were any aftermarket companies out there that make flex forks similar to what the Dixie Choppers have on them? I have my new Turf Tiger and love the cut, but would like it if it rode a little softer. I have a steel fabrication shop and am kicking around the idea of fabricating a set of front casters with springs based on the Dixie Chopper design if nobody makes anything. Does anybody have any opinions on if this would be a good idea, or is there obvious reasons why this would not be a good idea that I am not thinking of? It would be a major undertaking to fab something like the Ferris has since tht is incorporated into the frame itself, but the Dixie Chopper flex forks looks like they would be pretty easy to make fit a Scag without a real big deal. Any opinions???

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I would figure out a way to mount the Bad Boy suspension forks on or the Flex Forks. Why reinvent the wheel? I don't know what kind of fabbing it will take to make them work, but I doubt very much at all really.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

wont flex forks change the cut height when they flex up and down?

how do you like the tt and 29dfi so far? im thinking of getting a 29dfi or a 25 kubota but cant decide.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Hustler with flex forks (took them off, too bouncy) I guess I've gotten used to the Scag ride now though. I doubt you will figure anything out practical. I put 8 lbs of air in the rear tires and the ride is not bad.

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

not any more than when your machine bounces around and cuts unevenly.

6. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

It would change cut height if they moved enough I'm sure. But I wouldn't want them to move much......just enough to take the edge off of the hard bumps a little. I'm really just thinking out loud here. I am a tinkerer, and I am always thinking of ways to improve things around me. It just looked like something that I could play around with, and if it didn't work I could just put the stock forks back on in just a few minutes and go again like Scag intended it to be.

7. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

[

how do you like the tt and 29dfi so far? im thinking of getting a 29dfi or a 25 kubota but cant decide.[/QUOTE]

I only got the mower late last fall, so I haven't used it a lot yet. I have put about 15 hours on it so far. Keep in mind that I have always had residential cheap mowers until I built my new house and now have a much bigger yard with 600 lbs of freshly planted fescue, so needless to say, I am easily impressed. I have never been on a more powerful, better cutting beast than this thing. I really can't see why anyone would need more power mowing yards. Maybe if you were using it for a bush hog you might could use the Briggs Vanguard 31 or 35 hp engines. For me personally, I already have much mower than I need. I doubt my mower will get more than 75 hours a year on it. I didn't need it.....I JUST WANTED IT:weightlifter:

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Hustler flex forks presented no problem with the cut. When they first came out there were a few complaints about scalping when stopping suddenly or making a quick turn but this was the exception. They are a fine product, if they had some sort of dampening they would be excellent.

My problem was going up steep hills they would get to bouncing and surging which I just didn't like.

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Bad Boy and be happy... :drinkup:

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That's technically not true---but I know there aren't many complaints with the system so it must work fine in practice.

An unsprung machine will only give as much as the sidewall on the tires.
    If the springs on a set of flex-forks give 1.5 inches that will potentially vary your cutting height by close to 1 inch.

If it works it works but it is not going to be within the same hoc limitations as a solid front end (more comfortable though I'm sure).