Scag Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Xtreme Lawns, Oct 3, 2002.

?

Do You Like Scag Turf Tigers

1. Ok

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. Good

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Awesome

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Stinks

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Worst Machine Ever

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xtreme Lawns

Xtreme Lawns LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying a Scag Turf Tiger 5mos Old.
    22 Hp Kawi 52 in deck . $5100 =1800 bagger no payments for 90 days 9.9% after that I'm 16 so it's a big decision :confused:

2. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I do not own one, but I demoed one for several days. I thought it was an awesome machine. It held hills as good as any other machine made. The one I demoed was a 61 25hp Kohler. I would put that mower up against any for striping ability. I do not know why it striped so well but it was incredible. I have a friend with one and his stripes look like - - - -. It may be partly the operator, but I tried a 27hp lc and it did not stripe quite as well. The price on that one seems reasonable. Good luck.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I have a 27 hp 61" Turf Tiger. It's great. I think you'll really like how tough they are built. Good luck with your decision.

4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased the 52 Scag Turf Tiger w/ 22hp liquid cooled Kawi at the beginning of the summer. This machine has been awesome. The cut quality is second to none and the Kawasaki will give you all the power you will need. I would jump at that mower for $5100 if it looks like it was maintained. Good luck.

5. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

bought one used from my local dealer latter part of last year.
    had gator blades did a number on leaves while cutting grass.
    maintain several yards in my culdersak 1 1/4 - 2acres each 4
    yards about 4.5 hours mowed trimmed blowed. stripes great.

6. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season LawnSite Member

I have a 52 25hp TT. The 52 does not stripe as nice as the larger decks. My deck is also the advantage. Overall does pretty good.

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You fellas that love your Turf Tigers, have you tried any other riders? I wonder how many guys have really compared the Tiger to any of the other units. I have used the Tiger, and Cub with both the standard and the advantage deck. For the conditions I mow in, they are not nearly as good at mulching in grass then exmark, or the Hustler. I had high hopes for the advantage deck, it cuts nice and smooth, but you can't mulch in grass for nothing if it is long at all. I would demo some mowers before jumping on the Tiger if I were you.

Jay

8. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

We currently have two Scag TT. Relatively happy with both machines. We have had no problems with either machine.

We demoed and Exmark, Husler and new Tiger this summer. Next purchase will most likely be the Husler - absolutely awesome machine. The day we demoed was dry and the grass wasn't really thick so we didn't get to see the benefits of the decks cutting ability in heavy grass. I felt the exmark and tigers cut about the same in the conditions we demoed.

9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Currently we have 3 STT with advantage decks. Dealer help us redesign the mulching plates for the discharge side(see previous postings with pics). 31hp Turbo diesel hardly slow down in heavy grass and still mulch increadibly well for us. We are extremly happy with how well they are holding up, seeing that they see serve use at a cemetery and are they from the first production year. Units are just over a year old now.
    Other brands(non-ZTR) had many various problems in the first year and were having major at the end of the second year at the same location.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Have a 2001 52inch Turf Tiger 400hrs on it with a 23 Kaw on it, great power and speed in some ways wish it was faster. NO problems what so ever, no hydro problems on it. The cut on the other hand is marginal, some lawns it stripes awsome, other lawns its ok on. WIth a stripe kit it helps but im looking at maybe a roller to do the trick.
    If i needed a new ZTR mower i think i would stick with Scag, get a bigger deck, Have a WB right now and love it.
    Matt