1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag turf tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC, Mar 7, 2003.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I just bought a used 61 inch scag turf tiger for 1700. It runs and cuts. I have one question...has anyone had any probelms with the hydro motors going bad? I have heard a few stories and want to get more feedback. Thanks for all ur help!!
  2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Don't really care for the Scag riders, but i love there Walkbehinds,ive got a 5yr old 52" Walk never had any problems with any hydros, just brought a new one last yr.....sounds like yours might be a much older model for that price, in time we all have problems with older equipment, for that price if it runs good and cuts ok you have already got a nice deal, If i where you i think id change the hydro oil just to make sure its clean, should do this around every 200hrs..........Marks Mowing Service
  3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 turf tigers and I have replaced at least 12 hydro pumps and three wheel motors, I run my mowers for long periods of time (10-12 hours straight) so I probably wear down my mowers faster than the average lco. The hydro pumps are pretty cheap to repair ($300) but the wheel motors are outrageous (I think they are over $700 and you have to replace the hydro pump $300 when the wheel motor goes).
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Wow............there went that idea!
  5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard Scag had a problem with their pumps and motors back in the late 90's with the Turf Tigers. Because they just came into the market late 96 and 97. The new ones have bigger pumps on them, so far no problems on my 2001 Turf Tiger. Depends on how many hours are on the machine and how much abuse the machine took. If its used your going to have to realize that those sort of things are the first to go on something used, its called "wear and tear" part of any ztr.
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We have a 61" TT with 27 hp kawasaki. We've run the heck out of it and the only problems we've had to deal with were the parking brake. We had that resolved and I personally love the TT. There may be better ones out there, but I think Scag's are tough & dependable mowers. That sounds like a good price from the limited information you gave.
  7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My best friend runs a mower shop and I see first hand what equipment is in there and what lines have faults....whats in there more often etc.... and as far as I have seen over the time of 2002 I have seen DOZENS of scags in there for hydro leaks, blown pumps and worn out wheel motors. Scag IMO is one of the toughest mowers out there but the one fault I have seen is the hydro systems on the w.b's and Z's . Other than the pumps its one tough mower built like a tank and runs like a energizer bunny.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That wouldn't happen to be Doug Roberts ?
    I used to live down the road from his shop, worked there part time when he was starting up a few years back.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is Doug....I live a mile or two down the road.
  10. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I recently bought a scag turf tiger. It pulls good in forward. When I switch to reverse, the right side does not seem to have the power it should have. Is that pump worn out or is it just me? And if the pump is worn out, how much does a new one cost and from where? Thanks alot!!!!!!